• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you trade Charles Johnson to keep Greg Hardy?

Vagrant

I have thought about this question a bit and have tossed it around. Charles Johnson was just as open as Hardy about wanting to get paid. He nearly took a deal from the Falcons.

If we could trade CJ for a high pick and keep Hardy, do you think it would be a smart move for us? Neither guy is old, but it's like the Rucker and Peppers dynamic a bit. The reliable guy who picks up his sacks in an unspectacular fashion and the freak that can break through for 3 in a game but disappears a lot too.

Plus, on a longer deal we might be able to get more cap relief in the immediate future where we desperately need it. I know Johnson restructured, but his hit for 2014 is still north of $16 million.

Would you support that kind of creativity, or do you think that Johnson takes priority over Hardy at this point?

This is actually a new fresh idea but, I can't wait to see the shitstorm that's about to make landfall in this thread.

Oh, I know. It seems like a lot of people have already written off Hardy to avoid the sting of his potential departure. It tends to happen that way. It's weird how a board can collectively love a guy as much as we love the Kraken, and then turn on him in an instant. It's a strange part of being a fan when money gets involved.

We have 3 contracts, CJ, DWill and Stewart that are way out of line.  If we could get rid of any of those, we should take a look

I truly feel like CJ is compensated somewhere in the range of fairly, unlike our HB's. Nobody pays HBs that kind of money anymore. They're dinosaurs. The whole position is losing emphasis as the league turns into a passing league and we're still left with the remnants of Hurney's lack of vision. At least with CJ he's a star caliber player at a position that has become one of the most important in the league. Even if he is a tad overpaid, he's still an asset with tremendous value to a team that can't draw a free agent of his caliber or develop a pass rusher like him.

I only mention if it would be worth moving him as it seems that he, like Hardy, doesn't have a lot of particular loyalty to the Panthers. Not taking a discount and shopping us against a division rival. Wearing Falcon hats in the offseason. It just seems like if he's a mercenary we should treat him like one.

Archived