• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on Gettleman's "Evaluation" comment

Johnny Rockets

Just listened all the way through, and all I gathered is that I want to punch Keith Larson in the throat. He spent the entire talk stirring the pot and pleading outrage when the reality is that all of this is based off of a sentence from a presser at the combine. I doubt Gettleman is going to get rid of the best WR on the roster, but Smith should just say "no comment" to this BS until he speaks with him directly. And while Gross may have got to leave on his terms, Gettleman didn't exactly beg for him to return either. The franchise isn't run that way anymore.

WOW, everyone's been patting Gettleman on the back for what he's done thus far and rightly so. But he/his staff is seriously lacking in respect. For him to make those comments and to answer those question in the press BEFORE speaking to Steve Smith is a huge let down to me.

#89 is all grown up and is still in the building! I hope he stays in the building...

Fug Gettleman.

If the people running this crappy franchise even had a few brain cells they would have got a franchise WR a couple years ago and Smitty could've been moved to the slot where he could still perform at a high level.

What this organization is asking Smitty to do at his age isn't fair to him.

sarcasm much? srsly, if you feel this way...why are you a Panthers fan?

It's ridiculous he'd be treated this way - he's a team captain and the best player in team history. He at least needs a heads-up on this.

why? because they, the Panthers, have not pursued any talent that was as justified. Now that we have avoided helping him over at least 5 seasons, he's becoming not so important to where we are headed. I know many won't like this comment because they still think he's the Goat, and yes he's still good but aging, but the reality is like all things, its coming to an end. I'll say it again, get ready to see Steve for the last time this upcoming season, he's up next! So then, will we groom a new WR under him this season or let him ride like Jordan?

If you take off your emotional, rose-colored, subjective glasses and look at this from a business perspective, why would anyone think Smitty is going to continue to make his current salary as a Panther?  If they are going to spend $7-9 million per season over the next three years, I would think they will spend it on a WR who is not 35, 5-9, and grabbing only 64 passes for 745 yards. 

Before I continue, I love Smitty, just like fans in Indy loved Peyton Manning or fans in SF loved Joe and Jerry. However, a good GM has to go against the grain at times, and this is the time.

Smitty's contract has an option that will not only lock us into an additional $3 million commitment this season, but obligates us to a $9 million salary when Smitty is 37 years old.  

Most speed WRs hit the wall between the ages of 30-32.  Smitty is defying time, but if you look at the numbers, he is slipping and has been for a while.  He gets by on heart, determination, and grit, but that is not enough.

Is Smitty's strong style of leadership and influence on the others impacting Cam's leadership and, possibly, his decision-making?  (Please don't answer this as if you know--nobody does, which is why I posed it as a question)

This is tough to say, but I think we give Smitty a Statue instead of committing to him for 3 more seasons.   A businessman would see that. not a fan. 

sarcasm much? srsly, if you feel this way...why are you a Panthers fan?

More of a spur of the moment angry comment so relax. This team has broke my heart so many times. I probably shouldn't get so emotionally involved but I do.

At the end of the day I realize it's a business but you show a guy like Steve some respect. If Smitty feels disrespected that's a problem.

Dude has done nothing but bust his ass for this franchise. It would be unfair to evaluate him as a number 1 WR. He shouldn't have been the number 1 WR for a few years now but Carolina has put themselves in a situation where he has to be. The fair thing to do would be to draft some WR's and move Smitty to the slot where he would be even more effective than Welker imo.

Just listened all the way through, and all I gathered is that I want to punch Keith Larson in the throat. He spent the entire talk stirring the pot and pleading outrage when the reality is that all of this is based off of a sentence from a presser at the combine. I doubt Gettleman is going to get rid of the best WR on the roster, but Smith should just say "no comment" to this BS until he speaks with him directly. And while Gross may have got to leave on his terms, Gettleman didn't exactly beg for him to return either. The franchise isn't run that way anymore.

Panthers actually did try hard to convince gross to come back fwiw

Steve Smith is a grown-ass man.  Why do we think he needs to be treated like some fragile-ego'ed, Mamma's boy?  Is Dave supposed to bow down to SS and kiss his ring?  There is a business being run down on Mint Street where short-term tactics and long-term strategies must co-exist. 

Nothing can take away what Steve has meant and may still mean to this franchise but whether he stays or goes...Father Time is still undefeated.

This whole thing sounds so over blown. One thing for sure though is that DG should have reached out to Smith after those comments hit the media. I'm a little taken back that he didn't. 

I still think DG just didn't use his words properly. He's evaluating the whole team and he used Smith as a way of emphasizing his point. The way this thing has blown up is a little silly.

Archived