• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smith Perspective: A Voth-man prophecy

SCP

Eh, comparing him to Lafell by simply looking at numbers is not enough. You have to look deeper.

How many crucial drops did Lafell have when we needed him to make a play? Steve Smith is a part of the reason we went 12-4.

LaFell was also a part of the reason we went 12-4. So was Ginn. And a bigger part than any other receiver on our team, Smitty included, was Greg Olsen, who most around here wouldn't be freaking out if we kept Smitty and cut Olsen to save money.

The media and everyone else would have construed a "no comment" response the exact way they did his actual response.

It was a loaded question and Gett was in a no win situation.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with lying to the media in a situation like that, to keep from stirring crap up.

Eh, comparing him to Lafell by simply looking at numbers is not enough. You have to look deeper.

How many crucial drops did Lafell have when we needed him to make a play? Steve Smith is a part of the reason we went 12-4.

They had the same # of drops and Smith had crucial drops too...everyone on offense even Olsen had the dropsies at times.

Every starter on the team is part of the reason we went 12-4...

Personally I think Getts got caught up in a Catch 22. He was asked a question about Steve Smith's future when he wasn't prepared for it.

Should he have been?

That's debatable. He is under contract for two more years, he is the only WR really we have under contract, and he is Steve Smith! Who would have thought the reporter would have asked about his future? Maybe he should have thought "Hey Gross retired, so obviously the question will be can you imagine this team without Smith?" But he wasn't prepared for it. And well he flubbed the answer.

Getts isn't the type that wants to blow smoke up your rear so he answered honestly instead of deflecting the question or flat out lying. NOW that is the skill he has to learn. The GM stuff he is prepared for, the PR stuff he is learning.

So honestly I don't fault him for this. I also don't fault him for not rushing to explain things to Smith. I watched this press conference, its on Panthers.com. I remember the question and really didn't think anything of it. Thought his reaction was weird but I also thought he was reacting to an absurd question. Oops I was wrong. But I also didn't know I was wrong for 4 days after the press conference that was done on Thursday. No one made a big deal out of it till Monday (May have been Sunday, don't remember, point is it was a few days).

But this is where he screwed up. As soon as they made a deal out of it he should have picked up the phone and let Smith know, instead he waited till Steve reached out a week later to address it.  And that is what we all should be mad about. He didn't react right away. But I don't think he meant for it to leak and after he slipped up it wasn't caught right away so I guess he thought no harm no foul.

At the very least he could have said "I have not yet spoken to Steve Smith, so no comment."  There are so many other things he could have said that would have been better.  

LaFell was also a part of the reason we went 12-4. So was Ginn. And a bigger part than any other receiver on our team, Smitty included, was Greg Olsen, who most around here wouldn't be freaking out if we kept Smitty and cut Olsen to save money.

They had the same # of drops and Smith had crucial drops too...everyone on offense even Olsen had the dropsies at times.

Every starter on the team is part of the reason we went 12-4...

I don't know about that.

Lafell had zero TD's through the final 5 games. Including the playoffs. He had zero yards in the Atlanta game while Steve was out. Brandon had the chance to step up, and cement his role with the team, and he folded instead. I've always spoken highly of him, but can't anymore.

No comment would have given him time to speak with Steve Smith.

Instead of saying what he did, and Steve Smith getting blindsided by the media, and having to respond.

You honestly, truly believe that if a Charlotte reporter asked DG about Steve Smith's status on the team for 2014, and Dave Gettleman's response was "no comment" that the media wouldn't have blown it up into exactly the same circus as it is now?

Like KMC said, Gettleman is learning as far as media answers go, and learning why Foxy always says it is what it is and why Rivera always says it's a process. Because saying anything or nothing it all will allow the media to run with it. Gettleman was asked a question and answered it in a way that although it maybe could have been answered with more savvy, was IMO in no way malicious or disrespectful to SS. He made a very, very minor flub, and the circling sharks ran with it.

Steve said it when he called into Keith Larson's show while on vacation in Utah a couple weeks ago.

Social media was speculating from Gettle's comments. Outside of a lie, no way to avoid the way this went down.

You honestly, truly believe that if a Charlotte reporter asked DG about Steve Smith's status on the team for 2014, and Dave Gettleman's response was "no comment" that the media wouldn't have blown it up into exactly the same circus as it is now?

Like KMC said, Gettleman is learning as far as media answers go, and learning why Foxy always says it is what it is and why Rivera always says it's a process. Because saying anything or nothing it all will allow the media to run with it. Gettleman was asked a question and answered it in a way that although it maybe could have been answered with more savvy, was IMO in no way malicious or disrespectful to SS. He made a very, very minor flub, and the circling sharks ran with it.

I disagree. He shouldn't have let it spiral, and said nothing.

Gettleman could have offered a different response to the media. Hell he could have said no comment.

The worst thing that he did was say nothing after opening a can of worms.

Smith was pretty much gone no matter what happened. Heck if Dave gave the perfect answer possible, all you guys would be like WTF there was no sign of this coming. How could Dave do this?!

It is just a lose-lose situation. Smith is gone at the end of the day. 

I'm going to go ahead and say this, for all the people here now who talk about Hurney having a lot of yes men in the fan base. Many people seem to be doing the same for Gettleman. It is okay to disagree with some things he does. It doesn't mean I want him fired, or hate him.

Again, this is why players holdout, because teams don't want to honor the end of the contract.

It's not just about the contract. I don't want to get stuck on that, it's about how this played out through the media.

Or how teams allow it to be played out through the media.

This reminds me an awful lot of when Brian Dawkins was allowed to walk in Philly. He is arguably the most beloved Eagle of all time and I am surprised they didn't burn the city down when they let him go. For what it's worth, the President and GM eventually came out and said letting him go and especially the way they handled it was absolutely wrong and they really screwed up from a PR perspective. This appears to be headed down the same course and it really doesn't have to be that way. 

Or how teams allow it to be played out through the media.

This reminds me an awful lot of when Brian Dawkins was allowed to walk in Philly. He is arguably the most beloved Eagle of all time and I am surprised they didn't burn the city down when they let him go. For what it's worth, the President and GM eventually came out and said letting him go and especially the way they handled it was absolutely wrong and they really screwed up from a PR perspective. This appears to be headed down the same course and it really doesn't have to be that way. 

Yes, and you saw that first hand. This is all I'm saying. These are all people here, it just requires basic communication.

No comment would have given him time to speak with Steve Smith.

Instead of saying what he did, and Steve Smith getting blindsided by the media, and having to respond.

No comment would have been taken the exact same way. Anything other than saying Smitty absolutely would be back would gave been taken the exact same way.

Archived