• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your opening day secondary

IMO, Lester = Byron Bell.  Performed admirably for a UDFA, but should not be looked at as a long-term option as a starter.  Unfortunately, it seems that we still haven't gotten that memo regarding Bell.

Completely disagree. Lester was great last year when he played whether he'd have been a first rounder or a UDFA. He's really smart, and won't do anything but improve. Bell just doesn't have the athleticism to be a solid starter at tackle. Lester can definitely make it at safety, and I think he will. Opposing quarterbacks had a 49.6 rating when throwing in Lester's direction last year. And he started against some good QBs, the games he started.

Completely disagree. Lester was great last year when he played whether he'd have been a first rounder or a UDFA. He's really smart, and won't do anything but improve. Bell just doesn't have the athleticism to be a solid starter at tackle. Lester can definitely make it at safety, and I think he will. Opposing quarterbacks had a 49.6 rating when throwing in Lester's direction last year. And he started against some good QBs, the games he started.

He takes some horrible angles when it comes down to bringing down ball carriers. Plus he isn't that fast. As you pointed out Lester does have a knack for the ball. His position on the last play of the game against New England saved Luke from that pass interference call.

Bell has a problem with technique. He seems scared to engage speed rushers. I believe he is fast enough he just doesn't seem to take the correct approach with defensive ends that attempt to blow by him.

I don't think Lester or Bell is a long term starter solution.

Way too early to decide who the starters will be.  We haven't even started training camp. OTAs are about teaching principles and concepts and working on technique, not determining who are going to be the starters in a few months.  As for Lester, most players make their biggest gains between their rookie and second seasons.  So lets see how he plays before deciding whether he has the potential to be a starter or not.  Truth is that you have found a gem when you can find a UDFA who is a contributor let alone a starter.

I really hope we can do better than Harper.

Not because I hate him (which I do), but as a player, he is pretty much washed up. Whether it's Lester or someone else, it's hard to believe there isn't someone better than him on the roster right now.

I really hope we can do better than Harper.

Not because I hate him (which I do), but as a player, he is pretty much washed up. Whether it's Lester or someone else, it's hard to believe there isn't someone better than him on the roster right now.

Agree.  I've been thinking Harper will only be in on obvious rushing downs and maybe when he's going to blitz.  Don't think he'll be the starter.

Archived