• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philly Browns TD

chknwing

If you guys want a punt returner who never fumbles, bring back Armanti. If you want a good one, you have to accept some risks. Hester fumbles a hell of a lot. So does Ginn. The great ones do.

True enough, although Hester's fumbles on punt return numbers did improve dramatically after the first couple of years. 

I haven't seen anyone knock Philly the WR. I think the board is high on his potential there

Resembling the quotes here if we replace PB as KR then we loose PB as a WR...disconnect? Unless weare willing to inactivate Bersin, that would mean PB would be inactivated.   

True enough, although Hester's fumbles on punt return numbers did improve dramatically after the first couple of years. 

That's what I meant I was just eating ice cream so didn't say it well. Philly is a rookie, and an udfa. He'll fumble for a good while, and even sometimes as a vet. That sort of playmaker does. But you can't give up on him and give him the Joe Adams treatment. If we do that with every rookie who fumbles we'll never find a PR.

so ur saying the panthers should let philly play thru his struggles?...muff punts, fumble punts potentially costing us a game and ultimately a playoff spot?

why on earth would any team do that for a udfa #4-5 wr in the middle of the season? he has a role on offense and deservedly so. thats more than enough opportunity for him at this point in his career considering where he came from. philly brown is not a good punt returner at this moment in time

Honestly, the ball bounced off of #24, so it should've died where it landed. :/

Wrong.

• If a player from the kicking team is the first to touch the ball after it crosses the line of scrimmage, "illegal touching" is called and the receiving team gains possession at the spot where the illegal touching occurred. This is often not considered to be detrimental to the kicking team; for example, it is common for a player on the kicking team deliberately to make contact with the ball near the goal line before it enters the end zone to prevent a touchback. Since there is no further yardage penalty awarded, the kicking team is often said to have "downed the ball" when this occurs (and the NFL does not count it as an official penalty). While the ball is not automatically dead upon an illegal touch, and can be advanced by the receiving team (who would then have the choice of accepting the result of the play or taking the ball at the spot of the illegal touch), this rarely happens in practice, as illegal touching typically occurs when members of the kicking team are closer to the ball than members of the receiving team.

The receiving team has the option to take the return, or if something bad happend to take it from the spot of the illegal touch.

Wrong.

The receiving team has the option to take the return, or if something bad happend to take it from the spot of the illegal touch.

Hm, odd.

The official rulebook (I have no idea what you linked) says this:

FIRST TOUCHING BEYOND THE LINE 
Article 2 “First touching” is when a player of the kicking team touches a scrimmage kick that is beyond the line of 
scrimmage before it has been touched by a player of the receiving team beyond the line. If the ball is first touched by a 
player of the kicking team, it remains in play. First touching is a violation, and the receivers shall have the option of taking 
possession of the ball at the spot of first touching, provided no penalty is accepted on the play, or at the spot where the 
ball is dead. First touching does not offset a foul by the receivers. - NFL Rulebook

The rules digest says this:

-Rules Digest

Philly will have the same career arc as Ryne Robinson and Kealoha Pilares. He's the random bottom-of-the-depth-chart WR that is hyped every year by you guys.

Honestly though, Joe Adams wasn't even this bad at punt returning. And I would absolutely take Armanti's safe 3-5 yards right now rather than saying "here we go again" when we force the other team to punt. Brown's mechanics are horrible! I'm stunned Rivera signed off on this experiment and he's actually returning punts in regular season games. 

It's not that he's dropping them (well that's a huge problem) but that he is making bad, slow decisions, and backing up to the ball right before it arrives. This is something you iron out in the offseason/preseason, not when we are trying to win games.

Archived