• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why did it take an injury for Norwell to play?

Jeremy Igo

I would imagine John Matsko possibly plays the biggest part in evaluating talent and deciding which players start on our oL and Rivera just goes along with it like a puppet on a string.i will give you an example of these two evaluating talent for our oL and it comes in the form of Edmund Kugbila,for whom these two pushed right into DGs lap of the 2013 draft with the 108th pick,lol,right.btw,Norwell is a beast and i can see that from here, sitting on my couch.

To my eyes Norwell may be the best guard on the team currently. My question is, why wasn't this known week's ago? Norwell was not even active on Sundays until injury forced the coaches hand.

Practices are also for evaluating talent, yes? Do you trust their ability to do so effectively?

Many players don't get the opportunity off gate, especially if higher picks are in front of them.  Willie Parker had two players in front of him one being Jerome Bettis.  At that point though Willie was ready and a better player.  It took both of the players in front of him getting hurt to get some burn and a super bowl MVP bid.  It is not uncommon in the NFL.  He is on the team and Gettleman made a mad dash to get him after the draft.  So, they showed they can evaluate talent.  Its been like that since the dawn of time.  The only major in your face NFL move that proved otherwise, was Wilson in Seattle his rookie year.  Even then, Flynn was hurt to start the season.

Having said that, I really want Norwell to continue to start even when Amini gets healthy.  He looked awesome road grade type blocking and I even saw him pulling a running back for more yards.  I saw him block DTs, combo off and get to the linebackers.  He is never standing around after a two yard gain like I constantly see Amini doing.   After his last two performances, there should be no looking back.

My guess is that Norwell is the type of player who looks much better in games than he does in practice.

I am not bashing the guy, but it is fairly obvious he is not exactly devoted to the weight room.

I would not doubt that he loafs a little in practice, but has a nasty disposition and really starts to shine when actual completion sets in.

How about some props for bringing the guy in in the first place?

31 other teams had a chance to spend a late round draft choice on Norwell and none did.

The Panthers brought him in. He made the roster.

I am not going to bash the staff for not putting him on the field immediately, I am going to give them credit for finding a diamond in the rough.

The kid looks sloppy, but can get the job done.

Can we say that Amini is a reach in the second now? With A Jeffrey and Cordy Glenn there and the knowledge we were going to need a LT of the future (Gross hinted at retirement then) or WR..so of course we roll the dice on a division 3 OL guy.

We have Norwell..he did impress. .so in a way that is a win. I think there is a lot of vanity in the development and push of both Chandler and Bell. Wanting to hit on a left field move seems like our FO wants to be regarded as the smartest guy in the room while gambling on UDFAs.

It is not working and Gary Williams also enjoys his disability payments too much. Upgrade needed urgently before the 2015 season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

OR we just had literally no other options. We tried to get Anthony Collins but he chose Tampa over here.

Because Amini and Trai are high draft picks. Just the simple answer.

This is the first thing that came to my mind. Cause Norwell looked better than any guard that has started this year. And I don't think this staff evaluates for crap

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived