• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Cam Newton the next Jay Cutler?

PntherPryd

Cam is certainly worthy of some criticism after these last two games, but he's not BAD either.

There's always over-reaction both ways...   Some of the throws he made earlier in the season, some people had tickets to Canton already...

I personally think Cam is trying to over-compensate for the rest of the offense sucking and making mental mistakes trying to do too much.

Notice when the wheels ran off the tracks (nearly literally) nicely coincides with the coaches "letting him go" or whatever Rivera said... and incorporating more runs and options in the offense?

Terrible comparison.

Cutler is a bit of a pussy, let's be honest, if he had a sore toe he wouldn't play. You would literally have to drag Newton off the field.

Yeah, what a pussy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-wu6VwU6hI

Cutler plays physically like Cam (fights for extra yards, doesn't slide) and has had a lot of the same issues in the past with his oline, taking too many sacks, not getting rid of the ball etc.  The difference is that Cutler is much less able to get away with playing like that because he's (relatively) smaller.  Combine this with his sulky personality and a lot of people think he's avoiding playing, but I really doubt that's the case.

Yeah, what a pussy:

Cutler plays physically like Cam (fights for extra yards, doesn't slide) and has had a lot of the same issues in the past with his oline, taking too many sacks, not getting rid of the ball etc.  The difference is that Cutler is much less able to get away with playing like that because he's (relatively) smaller.  Combine this with his sulky personality and a lot of people think he's avoiding playing, but I really doubt that's the case.

Of all the idiocy we've heard, I don't ever recall Newton's toughness as an athlete being questioned.

Cutler was being called out by current players and former players for heading to the bench in arguably the biggest game of his career.

The only area where the two would even remotely compare is that they both have a big arm. That's where it ends. Cutler fighting for extra yards? Newton has twice as many total rushing yards in only 3 and a half seasons as Cutler has had in nearly 10 seasons.

As idiotic as the obligatory and automatic "Mike Vick" comparisons are, this one is even worse.

Remind me again....which QB won the NCAA National Championship and Heisman in one season as a starter, went on to break Peyton Manning's rookie passing records, win Rookie of the Year and make the Pro Bowl in his rookie season, continued to shatter expectations for what a "mobile" QB can be, lead his team to a 12-4 record and the NFCS title in his third year and another Pro Bowl appearance?

Yea but he's Jay Cutler yalls.

In a lot of regards most QBs are what they are. They can improve on consistancy issues....for example letting footwork get sloppy.

But the rocketballs? Did Favre ever become a touch thrower? Nope, he was breaking fingers at 40. It was just accepted that is what he was.

Terrible comparison.

Cutler is a bit of a pussy, let's be honest, if he had a sore toe he wouldn't play. You would literally have to drag Newton off the field.

Cutlers pussy-ness is equal to Newtons childish like excitement level and what I can only best describe as emotional immaturity where he cannot contain or compose himself.

On the other hand, if Cam could just take 1/4 of Roethlisbergers composure then it would be a big step.

Remind me again....which QB won the NCAA National Championship and Heisman in one season as a starter, went on to break Peyton Manning's rookie passing records, win Rookie of the Year and make the Pro Bowl in his rookie season, continued to shatter expectations for what a "mobile" QB can be, lead his team to a 12-4 record and the NFCS title in his third year and another Pro Bowl appearance?

Yea but he's Jay Cutler yalls.

Remind me which QB has been more errant in passing in the last 3 weeks, struggled reading coverages and defenses more in his career and which QB has saved his ass by bailing on the designed play to run it?  Sure, it's great when he can run it and pick up yards, maybe even a first.  But, that's not how football works.  He needs to sit in the pocket and throw to WR's and hit the tight windows most NFL QB's can hit.  He doesn't no matter what accolades he has and it is a team sport.  Cam Newton is a big reason that this team has a losing record.

Archived