• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What can we realistically do this offseason to protect Cam?

TheRumGone

Who is our O line coach? 

I mean is there anything possible to work with them extensively this week? Seems like the most focus should be on that this week. We need Cam some time to throw against ATL.. Matt Ryan just might launch bombs to Julio and make us throw. Not saying their D is the same as philly but... people now know what to attack. The motherfuging line

Cam's career here in Carolina might be beyond repair at this point if you ask me.  Yet if he was to stay around, you will have to get this man a new coaching staff.  Anything less than that and we are just wasting our time as fans expecting anything great from this team.  Next move is to draft the top OT prospect with our first pick.  I believe that is Andrus Peat among the top popular names.  That's a start.

New OC that wants to build around Cam and understands the value of a passing game without abandoning the run.

Cut Bell and Silatolu. Move Chandler back to OG. Draft 3 OTs in the draft. Trade for a franchise OL or trade up in the draft to secure a franchise OL to team with Kalil.

Maybe we can trade for the Brothers Kalil.

LT- Free Agency, Draft Pick

LG-Trai Turner

C- Ryan Kalil

RG-Andrew Norwell

RT- Byron Bell , Draft Pick, Low Grade FA

Realistically speaking, I think this is the best we can hope for.

I don't want Bell in the lineup and honestly would rather see two new tackles, but he's a little better on the right and the Chandler experiment needs to end now.

Norwell and Turner should be fine moving forward, we'll know more by the end of the season anyway. Both OTs need to be replaced. I'd prefer one of them to be a vet pickup as going into the draft needing two OTs would be really bad.

Someone like Michael Roos maybe and then a 1st round OT in the draft would give us a very solid line. Throw in a new OC and Torrey Smith as a free agent and you've got a top 10, possibly top 5, offense.

Plan 1: There are top quality OTs in the draft.

In round 1 we take the best LT available. In round 2 we take the best RT available. Cut Chandler. Bell becomes the backup LT/RT. Amini can't block delayed blitzes, nor stunts, so offer him a cheap/affordable contract. If his agent isn't having it, then let him go. He's allowing too many hits on Cam, and he's not intelligent. We can replace him via the draft, or buy a sure fire good pass blocking OG in FA. They are not that expensive and are worth the money to protect Cam.

Plan 2: The OTs in this draft are not worthy of high picks, and look like potential busts.

We need cash for OTs, weapons for Cam, a SS, and #1 CB. A high first round draft pick can fill the need for either a #1 WR, or a #1 CB. Since our offense should be the priority, I would look to selecting a WR. Whatever the case, we will have to enter FA looking for a starting quality LT. Bell will have to move back to the RT position where he is somewhat serviceable due to facing a lesser caliber of DE. Cut Chandler. Plan 1 for Amini.

Either plan should give Cam good quality protection without harming other areas.

From what I've seen this is what I think would be the best patchwork for next year to be successful.

Draft:

1-Double dip in best offensive linemen available 1st and 2nd.

2-Free agent LT with a short deal for immediate improvement on the line, while working in one of the draft picks to get reps through a full season to be ready to start full time 2016.

3-Safety help to replace the old and terrible we have back there and to give us another option besides Boston and Lester

4-WR pickup hopefully in the 4th.  

5-Some sort of scatback to help with WR/RB combo and possible return man a la sproles. 

6-DE pickup somewhere in the draft again just incase it doesn't get done with CJ.

Team Revamp:

1-Williams gone. Steward/Fozzy/Tolbert should be the RB combo from here on out, and eventually get rid of Stewart for a Fozzy/Tolbert/new draft scatback

2-Veteran WR help through FA.  

3-New OC & Special Teams coach at minimum.  As most of has said, JR doesn't just fire people, so why not give Rivera a better shot and if he fails next year its completely obvious the #1 problem.

4-DB's...Put White on the bench, have your starting DBs be Norman & Bene...with Jones or Dockery in Nickel.  

Thats my wish list, would be great if even 50% of that was accomplished next year.

Archived