• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers officials insist Cam Newton's MNF problems totally mental

Darth Biscuit

This.  Right.  Here.

Cam is not above criticism. He has not played well of late and made some very poor decisions.  Some of it is very hard to determine if the decision was his or the coaches... some of it (like the INT on the 2nd drive Monday night) is obviously Cam screwing up.

What I don't get is the big "if" about him being hurt.  idk what goes on at the stadium, behind closed doors, or with the coaching staff... Cam may have some attitude issues, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that AT THE BARE he's not injured enough to be affecting his play.

Yes... indeed.

I think the issue is with symantics....again, there is a big difference in being "injured" and being "banged up and sore".

Cam is absolutely banged up.....but, he is not injured.

This.  Right.  Here.

Cam is not above criticism. He has not played well of late and made some very poor decisions.  Some of it is very hard to determine if the decision was his or the coaches... some of it (like the INT on the 2nd drive Monday night) is obviously Cam screwing up.

What I don't get is the big "if" about him being hurt.  idk what goes on at the stadium, behind closed doors, or with the coaching staff... Cam may have some attitude issues, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that AT THE BARE he's not injured enough to be affecting his play.

Yes... indeed.

Well there is also the matter of the fact that regardless of who is behind center, with the personnel we have right now, there really is virtually no room for error with the quarterback. No speedy WR's, a clear severe lack of talent at OL, and drops from the WR's we do have.

Let's also think about this for a minute, our most consistent target is a TE. Who by the way was relegated to blocking at one point. Anyone really more concerned with the quarterback right now more than anything else within this offense is either clueless, or simply biased.

Newton has forced passes, but quite frankly all things considered I'm not worried about the INT's, they sometimes happen regardless. Even the best QB's throw them, some if it is miscommunication, others are the QB trying too hard to make a play. Both are easily corrected.

He has shown what he can do with even "adequate" protection. But right now our OL isn't in the same universe as adequate.

I think the issue is with symantics....again, there is a big difference in being "injured" and being "banged up and sore".

Cam is absolutely banged up.....but, he is not injured.

Well, as we often banter about in the tinderbox, there are levels of gray in all of that.

Sure there's a difference between banged up and injured, but where is that line?

I've heard reports of his right foot giving him issues because of the pain he's having in his left ankle.  Surely if his right foot is sore (due to some tendonitis, plantar faciitis, or something else) that's going to affect his throwing... and he's been doing an awful lot of arm throwing... not to mention it's hard to run on a hurt ankle and sore foot.  

Well there is also the matter of the fact that regardless of who is behind center, with the personnel we have right now, there really is virtually no room for error with the quarterback. No speedy WR's, a clear severe lack of talent at OL, and drops from the WR's we do have.

Let's also think about this for a minute, our most consistent target is a TE. Who by the way was relegated to blocking at one point. Anyone really more concerned with the quarterback right now more than anything else within this offense is either clueless, or simply biased.

Newton has forced passes, but quite frankly all things considered I'm not worried about the INT's, they sometimes happen regardless. Even the best QB's throw them, some if it is miscommunication, others are the QB trying too hard to make a play. Both are easily corrected.

He has shown what he can do with even "adequate" protection. But right now our OL isn't in the same universe as adequate.

Seemed like Olsen was lined up blocking the majority of the 2nd half. A max protect scheme that kept failing. 

Yep.

2nd play of the game your loser running back fumbles the ball. Then your WR stops running his route, all this in the first 5 minutes. This team and organization has let him down his entire career.

Cam isn't an idiot, he knows he's a sitting duck back there and that this team blows. Mentally, he checked out in the 1st quarter and I don't blame him.

Then you and he should find other teams.

Excuse me ?

You do know Keek is leading the league in tackles ?

I made it easy for you sloth just click here and see why Keek is "nothing special" this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats

In tackles, about the most useless stat going.

Also, why doesn't he elevate the defense? A true leader makes those around him better. We've invested most of our value draft resources on his side of the ball. We have a well-respected, defensive HC. Hell, his unit ranks 25th in the league (same rank as our dumpster fire offense!). We can't use the "surrounding talent" argument, because we're throwing that out for Newton. Maybe Luke just isn't the leader we all hoped he'd be.

As stupid an argument I just made, we still have mouth breathing fugtards making dumber ones in regards to the QB.

Well, to be fair, "Panthers official" is a pretty broad term. I'd like to know who it actually is.

I'd guess we all would.

Based on your own experience, an actual front office person seems extremely unlikely (way too tight lipped).

Coaching staff seems more likely, but guys like Rivera and Shula tend to speak directly to the media. Unlikely they'd speak anonymously. Lower level coaches maybe, but hard to say.

You have a theory?

Archived