• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Al Wallace said Cam Newton will never be a franchise qb

Ruff

It's no question if Cam was white he wouldn't face the same criticisms. Hell you could even look at the dolphins' forum with Tannenhill. He has shown flashes of good play but lots of bad play too yet they don't have as many dolphins fans complaining about all the mistakes he makes. They don't have fans who seem to be looking for him to fail and begrudgingly if at all praise him when he succeeds. Cam has a short lease because of his skin color in some fans and analyst minds. Let's just recognize that.

It's not because of race... It's because our fans are idiots.

It's not because of race... It's because our fans are idiots.

And no more evidence of that is needed than this thread.

Six bad games and one good game.  Lets lock him down. 

Cam needs consistency.  That takes time.  When he does this for 2 games, for a half season, for a full season---we should act as if he is the second coming.  Until then, he is a work in progress.  I love loyalty, fandom, etc.  but signing an unproven (yes, he is uproven) qb to a $100 million deal is a huge gamble.

Signs are positive after the Saints game--that is all we can honestly say.  The Saints have a bottom-three defense.  Not ready to design a Cam postage stamp, but I am encouraged by what I saw.  Sorry people, I just don't think you can build a franchise around a QB who moonlights as a RB (taking hits) and one whose play is bipolar--great, or needs excuses.

Great post..

I still contest we don't know what Cam could be. What Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees have had in weapons and proving offensive systems.. Is something Cam has not yet had..

Good. So, going into the final year of his contract and given the fact he has 4 years under his belt, just how much time and money are you willing to invest to find out "what he could be?"

Also, please take into consideration all the other holes this team has as well as contracts for Luke and a couple other proven players who everyone knows "what they can be" when answering the above question.

If Cam took an Alex Smith deal, I'm all for it.  Yet 120-130million+?  I will bring up the top QBs and compare them to Cam who's in his 4th year if we are talking that kind of contract.  Luck would be worth that kind of contract because he coaches his guys up.  Cam only focuses on what he's doing.  Look at all the commercials he's been in, and how they're always directed at his performance and people doubting him.  This is where his mindset is at.  Plain and simple, he doesn't  inspire the guys around him to lift their game to the next level.  That being the case, I wouldn't give him the big deal.

Very narrow minded statement.

Six bad games and one good game. Lets lock him down.

Cam needs consistency. That takes time. When he does this for 2 games, for a half season, for a full season---we should act as if he is the second coming. Until then, he is a work in progress. I love loyalty, fandom, etc. but signing an unproven (yes, he is uproven) qb to a $100 million deal is a huge gamble.

Signs are positive after the Saints game--that is all we can honestly say. The Saints have a bottom-three defense. Not ready to design a Cam postage stamp, but I am encouraged by what I saw. Sorry people, I just don't think you can build a franchise around a QB who moonlights as a RB (taking hits) and one whose play is bipolar--great, or needs excuses.

How many QBS have proven themselves by the time they were 25 years old?

How many Pro Bowls does Cam need to go to before he has proven it?

Kid has 111 TDS right now and is only 25. Our entire offense had 11 or 12 the entire season before he arrived.

The market has been pretty much set for QBs. You may not like the price, but it is the price league wide.

I just am not sure what you and others are looking for. And I am not sure based on comments you guys make you would ever find it.

Cam needs consistency. That takes time. When he does this for 2 games, for a half season, for a full season---we should act as if he is the second coming. Until then, he is a work in progress. I love loyalty, fandom, etc. but signing an unproven (yes, he is uproven) qb to a $100 million deal is a huge gamble.

Signs are positive after the Saints game--that is all we can honestly say. The Saints have a bottom-three defense. Not ready to design a Cam postage stamp, but I am encouraged by what I saw. Sorry people, I just don't think you can build a franchise around a QB who moonlights as a RB (taking hits) and one whose play is bipolar--great, or needs excuses.[/quote

Do you even watch the games?

If you did, you would know that not even Manning or Brady could do anything with this offense half the time.

The evidence shows that when Cam is allowed to be in control, we make big plays.

He is better than y'all give him credit for.

It's no question if Cam was white he wouldn't face the same criticisms. Hell you could even look at the dolphins' forum with Tannenhill. He has shown flashes of good play but lots of bad play too yet they don't have as many dolphins fans complaining about all the mistakes he makes. They don't have fans who seem to be looking for him to fail and begrudgingly if at all praise him when he succeeds. Cam has a short lease because of his skin color in some fans and analyst minds. Let's just recognize that. 

I will say it for the 100th time. The Panthers and the Saints played towards the end of last year, the very week that the Dolphins played the Jets.

The Panthers won the game after Newton threw a TD which essentially locked up a top 2 seed in the playoffs and beat the heated Saints. The Dolphins and specifically Tannehill had a horrible day offensively and pretty much locked themselves out the playoffs with the lost.

That VERY week, there was MORE threads and posters COMPLAINING about HOW Newton threw the game winning TD pass than there were EVEN MENTIONS about Tannehill on the Dolphins message board!!!!!

Let that sink in for a moment. The same week, somewhat similar situations as far as what was on the line.

There is more COMPLAINING about Newton in one week on the Huddle/Carolina, who's front office has done little to nothing to surround him with talent, than there is with the Bears/Chicago have with Jay Cutler, the 100+ million QB in his what 10th season and second mega deal who got to hand pick his offensive genius coach and franchise RB, talented line, talented TE, and 2 NO. 1 pro bowl level WRs.

Matt Ryan is the same thing.

Matt Stafford is the same thing.

And lets not even get started on people like Bradford, who the vast majority of St. Louis still think is a franchise QB because you know, he was Rookie of the Year once.

Good. So, going into the final year of his contract and given the fact he has 4 years under his belt, just how much time and money are you willing to invest to find out "what he could be?"

Also, please take into consideration all the other holes this team has as well as contracts for Luke and a couple other proven players who everyone knows "what they can be" when answering the above question.

Put his numbers in his 1st 4 years against all of theirs and then give him the money because franchise QB'S get paid.

Signs are positive after the Saints game--that is all we can honestly say. The Saints have a bottom-three defense. Not ready to design a Cam postage stamp, but I am encouraged by what I saw. Sorry people, I just don't think you can build a franchise around a QB who moonlights as a RB (taking hits) and one whose play is bipolar--great, or needs excuses.

How about 3 years and 6 games against 6 games genius. .

I swear you're on a troll mission.. What happened in your personal life to make your judgement and opinion shitty? ?

I want to see him develop into the director of the offense. Then I will give him the big deal.

So being 77% of a offense for 4 years now isn't being a director of a offense??

Jesus Christ where does this fan base get so many unemployed QB gurus from???

Archived