• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The biggest influence in Rock music?

stankowalski

You're defining "influence" differently though. You're listing the rich man who put out the record or found the talent. That's a different thing all together. Yes, some on your list played as well but influence should be about who made a person want to play. Made them choose their genre. Not who game them a shot.

Why not list Ed Sullivan, lol?

OK...

Let me try to make my case with an analogy.

Who had the biggest influence on Football?

Was it the the coaches and coordinators who designed the game?

Was it the owners and commissioners who promoted and funded the game?

Or was it the players who inspired kids to play the game?

Of course Id say it was the coaches and coordinators who refined and developed the schemes and philosophies by which the game we watch is executed.

So in that same vein I want to say the biggest influence on Rock (and all other music) comes from those men and women who take the Curt Cobains of the world and shape and mold their raw musical ideas into something they believe the masses will purchase.

Keep in mind the fact that Phil Spector wasn't just a guy with a checkbook.  He is responsible for the style and sound of the acts he produced.  Much in the same way you can pretty easily identify which of the Chili Peppers albums Rubin produced due to his distinct ideas on how music should be mixed and presented.

And why not Sullivan?  Because he was just a TV host and had nothing to do with the finding and signing the musicians or engineering their "sound".

OK...

Let me try to make my case with an analogy.

Who had the biggest influence on Football?

Was it the the coaches and coordinators who designed the game?

Was it the owners and commissioners who promoted and funded the game?

Or was it the players who inspired kids to play the game?

Of course Id say it was the coaches and coordinators who refined and developed the schemes and philosophies by which the game we watch is executed.

So in that same vein I want to say the biggest influence on Rock (and all other music) comes from those men and women who take the Curt Cobains of the world and shape and mold their raw musical ideas into something they believe the masses will purchase.

Keep in mind the fact that Phil Spector wasn't just a guy with a checkbook.  He is responsible for the style and sound of the acts he produced.  Much in the same way you can pretty easily identify which of the Chili Peppers albums Rubin produced due to his distinct ideas on how music should be mixed and presented.

And why not Sullivan?  Because he was just a TV host and had nothing to do with the finding and signing the musicians or engineering their "sound".

Although I can appreciate your point, I don't think I would necessarily agree with you here. To use the same vein of thinking for an example:

Who had a bigger influence on football, and/or inspiring those who want to play it? Wayne Fontes or Barry Sanders? By your argument, that would be Wayne Fontes, and I'm going to have to disagree.

This may sound like a stupid question, since it is relative.  But I've been sitting back listening to all of my music (which is extensive),  and I'm having a hard time deciding who is the biggest influence as a whole.  The Beatles shaped music from the late 60's to the early 80's and even still today.  Nirvana instantly changed the rock scene from Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue to them, almost overnight, and you still see their influence today.  Since today is still going on, and there is no way of knowing what the future may hold, I find it hard to say Nirvana has been the most influential band of all time....especially given their short stay. But even still, I think it's even more impressive that Nirvana had so much of an impact given their short stay.

What say you?

influence would speak to those who came before.who influenced the Beatles, Clapton, the Stones,Elvis, BuddyHolly,Chuck Berry, Bill Haley? the common thread of influence , what is it? The question is who made who? It all depends on how far back you want to go.

Come on folks.

The question wasn't where did Rock start or who deserves credit for it, the question is who had/has the most influence.

And while all of (ok most of) the acts listed in this thread deserve their own accolades they don't hold a candle to the Clive Davis', Rick Rubins, Phil Spectors, Nile Rodgers, Brian Eno, and Quincy Jones' when it comes to their influence on the genre.

Those men and the many other folks like them have driven the industry to what it is.  I didn't matter how innovative Chuck Berry was, if Leonard Chess didn't sign him we may never have heard of him beyond him backing up other acts.  Hell it could be well argued that Butch Vig had as much to do with Nirvana's success an Cobain did by producing Nevermind. Likewise had Norman Smith done a lesser job producing The Piper at the Gates of Dawn we may well have never heard of Pink Floyd.

the most influence is where it started and it walks all the way through.Where it started is where the influence comes from.

David Bowie had the greatest influence on the best rock music. Many others had influence or made some notable innovation but Bowie really showed how to reinvent oneself and how to instead of cutting out a piece in rock history to be revolutionary and keep cutting out new pieces and never settling.

No one really has the mainstream notability and the indie and avant-garde credibility. You really need both to reach people and then inspire them. If few people ever hear your music you can't touch them, if your music is too rudimentary it doesn't necessarily inspire.

David Bowie had the greatest influence on the best rock music. Many others had influence or made some notable innovation but Bowie really showed how to reinvent oneself and how to instead of cutting out a piece in rock history to be revolutionary and keep cutting out new pieces and never settling.

No one really has the mainstream notability and the indie and avant-garde credibility. You really need both to reach people and then inspire them. If few people ever hear your music you can't touch them, if your music is too rudimentary it doesn't necessarily inspire.

Very true. And as much as you want people to hear it, it's almost a small treasure when it's less popular.

Archived