• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2014 Panthers Rookie Grades

Jeremy Igo

This may be the best rookie class the Panthers have ever seen. Here is how I would grade it out taking their draft position or UDFA status into consideration. 

Kelvin Benjamin

1000 yards, 9 TDs. What else do you need to know? Yes, he has had lapses in focus resulting in drops, but overall an exceptional showing for a rookie forced into a #1 receiver role. First round pick, first round production.

Grade - A

Kony Ealy

Ealy is one of the less appreciated rookie's on the team, mainly due to people not understanding how difficult the defensive end position is for a rookie to make an impact. Ealy played in 15 games and had 4 sacks. For comparison sakes, Greg Hardy also played in 15 games his rookie season and recorded 3 sacks. Not bad for a late second round pick.

Grade - A

Trai Turner

Though hobbled by injury early in the season, Turner ended up where I predicted him to be during camp. Namely a solid starting guard. He hasn't given up a sack all season and is a road grader in the run game. All for the price of a 3rd round pick? Hell yes.

Grade - A

Tre Boston

Sidelined for most of the season due to injury, Boston finally saw the field and did an adequate job. He has had lapses in judgement, but also flashes of brilliance. Still, he is a 4th round rookie starting at safety for a playoff team.

Grade - B

Bene Benwikere

Many in the local media blasted him early in camp for mistakes, but I saw something different. Bene showed the physical skills early and once his brain caught up to his legs, Bene became the best corner the Panthers have drafted since Chris Gamble. Not bad for a 5th round selection. If the draft were done over today, "Big Play" Bene would be a first or second rounder. Thats all you need to know.

Grade - A+

Andrew Norwell

The Panthers organization are as excited about UDFA Norwell as they are about 1st round selection Benjamin. Norwell came into camp without any media attention and worked his way into a starting position where he is a monster. Norwell fell out of the draft due to not having the physical measurables... its too bad they haven't developed a way to measure aggressive tenacity.

Grade - A+

Philly Brown

First thrown into the punt return role where he failed, so that will be shown in his grade. But Philly then found his home as the deep threat and occasional end around runner. Since then he has performed better than Ted Ginn. It is a shame it took so long for the Panthers to realize his potential in the passing game even after posting 7 receptions against Pittsburgh early in the season. If the draft were held again today, I would wager Philly would be a mid rounder. Impressive.

Grade - B

David Foucault

Started one game at right tackle and looked awful. Promptly placed back on the Sunday inactives list. Foucault was a multi year project coming in, his only asset being his superior physical frame. Could he be worth it in the long term? Maybe. But this year the grade isn't so good. Lets hope in a few years we look back and laugh at it.

Grade - D

Adarius Glanton

When a rookie UDFA comes in for a starter and does well.... what more can you ask? Glanton filled in for the injured AJ Klein and made some nice plays. There was no noticeable drop off. Glanton has also shown value on special teams. You need these role players on successful teams.

Grade - A

Carrington Byndom

I liked this kid in camp, and was the only one in the media that did. He got a lot of flack from the beat writers. But, he is an UDFA on a playoff team's regular roster. I enjoy being right. Byndom hasn't played many snaps in the three games since being brought up from the practice squad. I am going to give him a C until more information is available next season.

Grade - C

Rookie Awards

Most Valuable - Kelvin Benjamin

Most likely to dismember opponent - Andrew Norwell

Coolest Cat - Trai Turner

Biggest Shoe - David Foucault

Most Improved - Kony Ealy

Ball Hawker - Bene Benwikere

Benjamin's is way too high. Numbers are meaningless if the catch or TD comes at the wrong time. 50% catch rate with multiple drops in the endzone or on third downs do not contribute to wins - just losses. I would only give him a C+ as a 1st rounder. I would give Brown the A as a UDFA. Guy has been more dangerous and a lot more dependable the Benjamin over the last few games. He and Benwikere are the real stars of this draft.

I know that you are constantly trying to upgrade all your positions through the draft and free agency but if G man and his team can keep hitting home runs the way they did this year, I could see us in the position to really be able to do some lucrative wheeling and dealing in a couple of years.  We could be set up for the forseeable future.

Honestly, I would give Kelvin a B- to C+ but that's purely to holding him to the standard of an established Pro Bowl caliber WR and not a rookie, because he has all-world talent. It's unfair but really he has had an impressive season by all but the most stringent of standards.

I'd agree if I were comparing him to pro bowl receivers. These are rookie grades though taking inexperience into consideration.

Tried to think back over the last few years of what rookies we have had. Sure there's a name or two, but holy hell this team is full of guys who are producing. Sure they have all had their moments where they look like rookies but those moments have been few. As far as KB is concerned, the guy almost single handedly replaced our TD production from the group of guys no one wanted to let go and overpay for.

Sure, if you watch KB play and don't understand what's going on in the defense you see a guy who's dropping some catchable balls, but he's also a rookie who's commanding safety help on most plays, literally with his size he's allowing Olsen to roam the middle of the field one on one with a linebacker. Focus will come and he'll make the easy plays...have a little faith.

Production is meaningless?

OK.

That's right. Who cares what you produce when all that matters is when you produce it. Like my collection of paper clips, yeah you might say who collects those? But they're in mint condition never been used.

I really did have something better to say but -30 is keeping me from thinking and my phone's screen is freezing.

I'd give Foucault an incomplete simply because everyone knew he had no business on the gameday field from Day 1. The guy has always been a project, and showing poorly isn't really his fault in this case. In this context, I'd be more inclined to give the front office a D for getting to the point where he had to play in the first place.

That's right. Who cares what you produce when all that matters is when you produce it. Like my collection of paper clips, yeah you might say who collects those? But they're in mint condition never been used.

I really did have something better to say but -30 is keeping me from thinking and my phone's screen is freezing.

This. I could have sworn 4 of KBs TDs came in garbage time after beat downs. He disappeared early when it mattered. I don't think he sucks but his run blocking also needs to improve. He's lax and needs to finish his blocks and polish up his routes. Taking into consideration his production and where he was drafted he gets a B+ from me.

I'd agree if I were comparing him to pro bowl receivers. These are rookie grades though taking inexperience into consideration.

Very true. I bumped him to a B the more I thought about it. I just get so frustrated with him because he is absolutely oozing potential and seems to screw up the simple stuff, but truthfully it's not fair to hold him to such an insane standard when he's performed at a very high level in a position with a notorious bust factor.

Archived