• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we brought them here for

Mol3m4n

First of all, I am not happy with this team right now.

Second of all, this loss has made me think of the offseason we had and why we brought in some of these players.

We brought in Jericho Cotchery to make critical catches on third down and in the end zone. He was supposed to be reliable and a safety valve. Instead, Cotchery drops important drive sustaining passes, stops in the middle of his routes(which he is supposed to be really good at running), and only had 1 touchdown catch this season.

We brought in Roman Harper for attitude and a strong tackler against the run. I will credit Roman, he turned it on the past 6 weeks, not including tonight, and was a great veteran leader for our rookies. However, Harper is the slowest man on the field. Sometimes he looks lost on which coverages we're running, and doesn't know where his man is in the zone. Harper has to be one of the most paranoid tacklers that I have ever seen, he is gun shy when tackling.

Avant. Well, you know how that went. (Along with Tiquan Underwood.)

DeCoud was supposed to be our ballhawk, but he couldn't understand how to play football. He was lazy and couldn't tackle. His coverage was even worse.

Antoine Cason. One of the worst corners in the league. Just horrible.

Was there even any doubt that Chris Scott should have been cut this training camp?

An excellent draft by Gettleman, but he crapped the bed trying to work things out like last year with free agency.

(Not to mention, Chandler has a 3 million dollar extension.)

We didn't bring anybody in to win this year, because we knew we had no chance. Harper and Cotchery were big additions to help the young guys, and it will help our future immensely. Understand that every single move made this year (except for Hardy) was for the future, NOT this year. 

We didn't bring anybody in to win this year, because we knew we had no chance. Harper and Cotchery were big additions to help the young guys, and it will help our future immensely. Understand that every single move made this year (except for Hardy) was for the future, NOT this year. 

this. someone in another thread said this exact thing. these past two years werent meant to be success stories. it just so happened that they both were. i see it like this: we are also training the fanbase to have a winning mindset as well. you have to get through the adversity to have success. this fanbase is being tested, and God has been so gracious to us to give us more success than our teams were set up to have. the future is bright. stay patient friends

You can only get a certain level of FA if you want to sign guys to adequately priced and easily cut-able contracts.  That's the good thing at least: easily cut-able.  

I was really expecting more out of Cotchery though and don't know why I ever thought DeCoud could do well here haha.  

Frankly im tired of hearing that. In 2011 it was "Panthers end season strong and finish 6-10, something to build off for the future." Then in 2012, it was; "Panthers improve 7-9 and finish the season with momentum for the future." Then in 2013, the future arrives and we go 12-4, win the NFCs and get a playoff bye, then half our starters leave and we bring in guys like Harper and Cotchery to coach the young guys for the "future." Cant we for once stop building a team the scared way and build like a team that is just a few pieces away from the SB?!

We seem to be in this endless loop of "future" and "young guys" to groom for the "future." My question is simple, when is the "future" exactly and can someoen let me know when its actually here?

All I hope is that if we have veterans pooing the bed next season that we don't wait till the season is half over before going with younger guys who may make an impact.   If RR learns nothing else from this season I hope its that veterans aren't always the best players.

Frankly im tired of hearing that. In 2011 it was "Panthers end season strong and finish 6-10, something to build off for the future." Then in 2012, it was; "Panthers improve 7-9 and finish the season with momentum for the future." Then in 2013, the future arrives and we go 12-4, win the NFCs and get a playoff bye, then half our starters leave and we bring in guys like Harper and Cotchery to coach the young guys for the "future." Cant we for once stop building a team the scared way and build like a team that is just a few pieces away from the SB?!

We seem to be in this endless loop of "future" and "young guys" to groom for the "future." My question is simple, when is the "future" exactly and can someoen let me know when its actually here?

As soon as you can erase all our dead or tied up cap space then sure we could try that.   

Can't compare the Hurney era to the Gettleman era. Gettleman is 2 for 2 in making the playoffs as a GM. 

Where's the money to buy this team that's just a few pieces away? 12-4 resulted in other teams thinking we had some underpaid starters who were worth some big bucks. If Gman had paid up to keep 'em, it would have made the salary cap heavier, rather than lighter. 

For me, we're in the future now. 2 straight playoff appearances and the team should be even better next season. 

What happened to Cason, Avant, and Underwood? Yea, exactly.

Tell me one GM in the history of the NFL that expected for 7 rookies (5 drafted and 2 UNDRAFTED) to contribute this much???? Even, Bill Belichick couldn't pull this out.

I don't get what you're trying to say

Is having this many rookies playing at a high level some kind of indictment on Dave gettleman or something? Yeah we brought in bargain basement FAs to help our cap situation. We made an unexpected playoff run and you people are still mad and butthurt. Get over yourselves.

this. someone in another thread said this exact thing. these past two years werent meant to be success stories. it just so happened that they both were. i see it like this: we are also training the fanbase to have a winning mindset as well. you have to get through the adversity to have success. this fanbase is being tested, and God has been so gracious to us to give us more success than our teams were set up to have. the future is bright. stay patient friends

Agreed.  The one's that were legitimate grabs for potential mid-career resurgences were the likes of Dickson, Underwood, Cason and DeCoud.  Most of the rest were stop-gaps/cheap fillers while we're trying to find our future.  You sometimes get lucky with those...we got really lucky last season.

Future is still bright.    

Archived