• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deflate-Gate: Patriots Being Investigated For Deflated Footballs

I don't want to wade through 31 pages.  Can someone sum up the thread for me?

People getting oddly too personally involved in whatever side of the argument they decided to jump to on first mention without regard to logic or reason.

The twelfth ball was left alone for kicking. Kicking flat balls sucks plus they didn't want the Colts to have the advantage of catching one of the other eleven. Don't know if that was said so I'm just saying.

The kicking balls are separate and teams don't have access to them.

So PFT is saying there's a video of a Pats locker room attendant taking all 24 (Pats balls and Colts balls) into a bathroom.

That runs counter to everything we heard about how the chain of custody goes. It was reported that the balls go from a ref, to a uniformed football attendant, to the team's ball boys. There should be no Patriots employee who is given both team's balls.

There is some serious breakdown here.

Had not seen this posted and didn't click through all 30+ pages, but this appears to be some very compelling evidence that the Patriots have had an unfair advantage over the past 8 seasons.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-mysteriously-became-fumble-proof-in-2007

I wanted to compare the New England Patriots fumble rate from 2000, when HC Bill Belichick first arrived in New England, to the rest of the NFL.  Clearly, one thing I found in my prior research was that dome teams fumble substantially less frequently, given they play at least 8+ games out of the elements each year.  To keep every team on a more level playing field, I eliminated dome teams from the analysis, grabbed only regular season games, and defined plays as pass attempts+rushes+times sacked.  The below results also look only at total fumbles, not just fumbles which are lost.  This brought us to the ability to capture touches per fumble.

To really confirm something was dramatically different in New England, starting in 2007 thru present, I compared the 2000-06 time period (when Bill Belichick was their head coach and they won all of their Super Bowls) to the 2007-2014 time period.  The beauty of data is the results speak for themselves:

Check out the data.  Pretty crazy 

Had not seen this posted and didn't click through all 30+ pages, but this appears to be some very compelling evidence that the Patriots have had an unfair advantage over the past 8 seasons.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-mysteriously-became-fumble-proof-in-2007

Check out the data. Pretty crazy

Heard them talking on the radio about this. First thing that popped in my head was "THIS RIGHT HERE explains why LaFail is all of a sudden a pro bowl wr!

Archived