• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dorial Green-Beckham: If he falls to us on the clock in 2nd

top dawg

After watching us sit through a season where we paid a guy 13 million to sit at home and do nothing, plus the drama surrounding guys like Ray Rice, Josh Gordon and Adrian Peterson, you still question why we would avoid character problems?

With the Rice story in particular, knowing how much of an image problem that was for the league and how hard they're gonna be looking at incidents like that, plus the fact that guys can now be made 'exempt' without allowing the legal process to play out, taking a chance on guys like that is a bigger risk than ever.

All the talent in the world doesn't mean jack s--t if they're not on the field.

Sigh*

I didn't mean for this little convo to get so serious.

I don't even know who the kid this thread is about is! Never heard of him, never even seen a picture.

My point was a generality. We don't take risks when it comes to character concerns, real, fake or otherwise.

I'm done now.

Lulz, Huddle Posters always give me a good laugh. Da'Rick was widely considered a first round talent here and around other fan sites. Point blank, DGB has been out of football for over a year and linked to substance abuse and domestic violence in a season where the NFL has been plagued.

I take that back. Comparing Rogers to Green-Beckham is atrocious simply because Da'Rick appears more mentally stable than Dorial.

This dude finished his career at Tennessee Tech, and couldn't beat regular defenders there.  There is no comparison, do you have a clue what the fug you're talking about? Da'Rick was barley considered a mid-round pick.  

No matter who the player is, Mr. Scot is always in one of these threads telling us what sort of villain the guy is.

Come on off your high horse already man.

He hasn't even entered the NFL yet, you cannot write his future.

I don't know if he's a villain.

Frankly I don't care.

What I'm talking about is the risk the team takes in picking a guy with known character issues.

It's about being smart with your investment.

Sigh*

I didn't mean for this little convo to get so serious.

I don't even know who the kid this thread is about is! Never heard of him, never even seen a picture.

My point was a generality. We don't take risks when it comes to character concerns, real, fake or otherwise.

I'm done now.

And I'm talking about why.

No matter who the player is, Mr. Scot is always in one of these threads telling us what sort of villain the guy is.

Come on off your high horse already man.

He hasn't even entered the NFL yet, you cannot write his future.

And you are the kind of guy who thinks buying lottery tickets each week is a sound invesment strategy for your future.

I don't know if he's a villain.

Frankly I don't care.

What I'm talking about is the risk the team takes in picking a guy with known character issues.

It's about being smart with your investment.

You can't just lump every imperfect kid coming out of college in with Ray Rice and Josh Gordon. That is not a one size fits all.

There have been players the last few years with the kind of question marks you are talking about who were able to turn it around. If you operate with that kind of mentality then you are likely to miss out on some potentially good prospects. Not everyone is Josh Gordon.

And you are the kind of guy who thinks buying lottery tickets each week is a sound invesment strategy for your future.

Oh hey cutie, I've missed you. Kisses.

You can't just lump every imperfect kid coming out of college in with Ray Rice and Josh Gordon. That is not a one size fits all.

There have been players the last few years with the kind of question marks you are talking about who were able to turn it around. If you operate with that kind of mentality then you are likely to miss out on some potentially good prospects. Not everyone is Josh Gordon.

And the team will investigate those things thoroughly, with more info and access than any of us have, and make their decision accordingly.

If they choose to draft him, or pass on him, it'll be based on that analysis.

My guess: They'll pass, and people will b--ch about it.

Basically, it's probably gonna be like I said. I would put money on it. We will never know with any surety, but I believe that the FO will evaluate tape. If he has the skills that we covet, I believe the FO will undoubtedly vet him. If that turns out alright, we will probably work him out. If we work him out, I think that this will be a pretty good indicator that there is some interest. From there, it will be all about the grade and risk-reward-value analysis.

I don't believe that G-man or J-Rich are in the business of dismissing prospects out of hand, but that's just me.

I don't believe that they are going to judge DGB based on Rae Carruth, Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Da'Rick Rogers, Dez Bryant, Sam Hurd, Jerome Simpson, Chris Carter, DeShaun Jackson, Titus Young or anyone else.

I would think that like with every other potential draft pick, the organization will do their due diligence . If they find that he made a mistake but was a generally good high character guy they would keep him in the mix. But if they have serious concerns then he won't be considered BPA when we pick and someone else will pull the trigger who doesn't care that much about character. Is his talent so overwhelming that it is worth the risk or will their be other guys with similar talent who are also available at that position or some other.

DGB projections are "all over the map", but at least one exec ain't buying before day 3.

"The scoop:'I think the consistent problems for Josh Gordon are going to leak over and hurt (Green-Beckham's) draft stock. He couldn't keep himself out of trouble, had no structure growing up and didn't take coaching at Missouri. He's tall and fast and has good hands, but he can't be trusted. Why would you take a guy like that before the third day?' -- NFC director of personnel on Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham

The skinny: Green-Beckham's draft projections are all over the map. While College Football 24/7's mock drafts have him going in the first round, this NFC director of personnel tabs Green-Beckham as a Day 3 pick. Talent obviously isn't the issue with Green-Beckham. He has the size, speed, soft hands and incredible catch radius of an elite prospect. But his work ethic is suspect, and several scouts wonder if the character concerns stemming from his suspensions and arrests make him worth risking a high draft pick. His upside is tantalizing, but his downside has some teams skeptical"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466339/article/sources-tell-us-what-were-hearing-about-nfl-draft-prospects

Archived