• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is 'BPA, or be damned' a flaw with Gettleman's draft philosophy?

top dawg

Gettleman says BPA but he doesn't go by a pure BPA system. He's explained his board, he has vertical and horizontal columns. The vertical is player ranking, and the horizontal is positional. It's not a pure BPA, it's a sort of system that creates the ideal intersection between BPA and need.

Agreed.  We aren't going to be drafting a franchise qb, and I doubt we will try to pick up a starting caliber middle linebacker.  But we might pick up a DT if we have an opportunity to draft a guy we are really high on. 

Gettleman says BPA but he doesn't go by a pure BPA system. He's explained his board, he has vertical and horizontal columns. The vertical is player ranking, and the horizontal is positional. It's not a pure BPA, it's a sort of system that creates the ideal intersection between BPA and need.

That's what i was hoping for.

my thought is that Gettleman's rankings are based on his end of season review and what the team needs are.

So, if Getts perceives the teams needs to be OT, S, WR then those are what he's going to spend the most of his time evaluating and ranking along with his love for pass rushers

You may be taking the BPA thing a bit too literally.

I'm fine with his approach. We've seen what drafting for need and being desperate to fill a position has done to a franchise.

I think this is a correct assessment.  I heard Gman during an interview and he basically said trust the draft board and you will get value.  For me BPA has weighing on "team value" to a certain extent.  While I can not say how the variable is set but would believe that each position has a value rating associated with it and it is factored along with a raw score for a player.  I would also suspect that the algorithm would be somewhat dynamic regarding who you have previously drafted lest you end up with 5 running backs and 2 punters on draft day. 

As is the case every year, going BPA isn't some random fortune cookie sliver of ancient football wisdom that most of this board seems to think it is. It's a reference to picking the best player available *on your board* A board that is assembled through a variety a of factors-one of those factors being gasp! Need.

Every year someone says this, but the fact of the matter is that you really can't have five studs at a position, unless you for some odd reason keep drafting that position---in the same draft, or, more likely, different drafts.

You really think that G-man is going to pass up a chance to select a quality D-lineman, including DT---if that person is still available when he is on the clock? No.

If it were as simple as you're making it, then why would people think that he has "brain damage" like he quipped about regarding this same issue? This suggests, and he suggests, that maybe the BPA is actually the BPA.

You are assuming that his board leaves out certain positions. I have never heard Gettleman say that. In fact, I have heard him suggest differently by how he jokes about people thinking that he is doing something outlandish by sticking to his philosophy. If it was as you make it, then there wouldn't be any need for him to joke about it because it would be a foreign concept at all.

BPA is the best way to build a team long term through the draft. You are always getting the best player you can at all positions. If you are building for a particular year and not looking at the long term you get who you need even if you reach.

Plus going BPA may be at a position not considered a position of need but that quickly changes. Who thought when we drafted Kuechly that linebacker was a need yet when Beason went down kuechly was much needed. The same with Ealy when Hardy couldn't play. free agency is where you find your need and BPA is where you build long term. Lastly the whole idea that BPA would be at a position of no need and therefore useless is likely overblown. I promise you we won't be picking a quarterback in the first 2 rounds no matter who is there. And we will say he wasn't the BPA. So need does factor in but not enough to reach for someone.

If G-man was drafting in such an easy way that some are suggesting, then there would be no need for him to joke about the BPA and explain his philosophy like it's difficult for people to wrap their heads around. In fact, if it was as some of you say, as opposed to what he is saying, then there would be no reason to even discuss BPA versus need, because they would be effectively one and the same.

If G-man was drafting in such an easy way that some are suggesting, then there would be no need for him to joke about the BPA and explain his philosophy like it's difficult for people to wrap their heads around. In fact, if it was as some of you say, as opposed to what he is saying, then there would be no reason to even discuss BPA versus need, because they would be effectively one and the same.

. I would argue that you are trying to polarize the argument into BPA versus need and I think that need is a factor but not the main issue. I think gettleman's comments are more related to various drafting services who tend to put people at certain positions and teams solely based on need and he is saying that isn't how he rolls. But If you look at his drafts instead of what he says you can see that many of his BPAs have been at positions of need. Pure coincidence? I don't think so.

Dude, Need is part of the best pick available equation. What he is saying is after you set your board and say "ok, we NEED a WR2, Saftey, Offensive tackle, so these round 1 players are graded higher slightly than these RB's, QB's." WE WILL NOT DRAFT a Round 2 Left Tackle in the first round just because there has been a run on all of our need positions, we will draft the number one defensive end, outside linebacker, cornerback.. etc in that ORDER. If we are in round 2 and a round 1 talent is available at running back, were taking him.

You might wonder how we know this? LOOK AT HIS DRAFTS, he has drafted for need unless there is a higher round talent available, Kony Ealy probably had a round 1 grade, Moses the left tackle that EVERYONE wanted last year couldn't even start at right tackle for the redskins this year and then was put on injured reserve with a foot injury. I would say we hit on Round 2 in the draft by drafting CORRECTLY.

Archived