• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

So much for having spare money for F/A's and other contracts to give Cam help. We are fuged unless DG can make some magic happen.

His first year cap hit will not be the issue. Cam will get a healthy bonus that gets spread over the contract along with an escalating base.

Edited by csx

If I was the consensus leader and franchise quarterback of the team, already a millionaire and beloved by fans AND wanted to win a superbowl? You're absolutely right. But hey I'm old fashioned.

You'd give up millions so others could make millions instead? B/C that's basically what it ends up being.

So basically... Cam wants to be the highest paid player in the league.  Because Luck is definitely going to be the highest paid player once he inks his deal.

There's still  a year left on Luck and Wilson's deals though.  They might not get done until the next offseason.

Jeeze.  So Cam wants to potentially play out his 5th year option, where we're either forced to franchise him next season or have a team like the Raiders throw a billion dollar contract at him.  Meh.

Colts will have the option of adding a 5th year to Luck's deal like we did with Cam since 1st round contracts have that option. So not as much negotiating leverage for Cam's agent there.

You're right on Russell's contract it's the last year and since it's a 3rd round contract, there's no 5th year option. That gives the Seahawks a sense of urgency to do Russell's deal before the season starts, just like us.

The thing about that though is one could take a contract for 10 years, $100 Million with $40M guaranteed up front. Set for life. Plus endorsements. It's not like you need every single penny you can get. $5M and you'd be set for life. $40M and you could have a dozen kids and all them and their kids and their grandkids could be set for life. If they're taught how to save money and not needlessly spend it. It's one thing if you want to have an extravagant lifestyle like Floyd "Money" Mayweather or Johnny Manziel, but if you're smart and low key (which Cam seems to be) then there's no reason you NEED an extra $50M or whatever. Not saying I wouldn't take as much as I can get but if one really really wanted to win, it would not hurt your financial situation by taking less than you're worth.

It's not about how much money a person needs. It's about being paid what you are worth relative to your peers.

How many here would be content to make less then a coworker who did less work? Cam might feel like he should be the highest paid contract in the league.

If that is the true DG is going to have a tough decision to make.

I know most here want to keep Cam long term, myself included, but at what point is it not worth it?

Unfortunately players don't do that when negotiating their first big deal. : we really need someone like CJ to take that attitude.

I'm not asking Cam to take 10 million a year but my god he should not be paid like an elite quarterback. 18-19 a year is fair for both sides. Make most of it guaranteed and boom.

1. The cap is jumping, and will continue to jump. Say by 2020, it very well could be up 15-20 million (if not more) than what it is now.

2. EVERY franchise QB in the league from here out, will be making 20 million plus. They used to make a million, then someone out did someone and it became 5, then 7, then 10...you get the picture. Same thing is playing out here. 5 years from now, QBs going rates very well may be 25-30, not 20-25.

3. Cam is getting paid, and frankly if he doesn't, we're fuged (for a few years at least). Unless you're cool with hitting the jackpot again in the draft (not likely), or signing a Jay Cutler type guy for 18-20 million instead of Cam at 23-25. I'm not. Pay the man.

• Pie 5

It's not about how much money a person needs. It's about being paid what you are worth relative to your peers.

How many here would be content to make less then a coworker who did less work? Cam might feel like he should be the highest paid contract in the league.

I know most here want to keep Cam long term, myself included, but at what point is it not worth it?

I would be content making less than a coworker if I was extremely passionate about what I do and if I wanted the company to succeed. I personally probably wouldn't give much more than a 5% discount or something like that, if any at all, but I don't understand why people think it would be absolutely outrageous for a guy like Cam to take less than he's worth. 

I think it's worth it to keep Cam at whatever his asking price is. Obviously $35M isn't but that's not reasonable for him to be asking for. I'd be absolutely fine with him making as much as whatever Luck and Wilson get. We'll just have to see, and I really really hope we can get it out of the way this offseason.

It's worth it, regardless of cost.  He has the potential to be the greatest player of all time and can transcend sports, much less team history.  Even that Bears fan on the youtube rant said we were a nothing franchise without him.  It's true.  Can't wait until the ink is dry, yours truly will cry tears of joy.