• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Agent ego a factor in Newton contract?

Mr. Scot

Florio speculates (link)

Cam’s current patience reportedly comes from a desire to see what happens with Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson, who have completed their third NFL seasons and are eligible for new contracts. But it’s much more about Wilson than Luck, for reasons that have nothing to do with the players themselves.

First, there’s no reason to believe Luck will be getting a new contract this offseason. After Adam Schefter of ESPN reported in January that the team was planning a mega-deal, the Colts shot it down, immediately. (Luck did too, eventually.) Given their history with Peyton Manning, who was twice required to play every game of a current contract before getting a new one, there’s no reason to currently believe the Colts will do anything other than wait until after the 2016 season to sign Luck.

Second, the Wilson-Newton dynamic necessarily will be influenced by the fact that Newton’s agent, Bus Cook, previously was Wilson’s agent. But Wilson fired Cook (without actually firing him), hiring baseball agent Mark Rodgers to handle the contract. In the high-stakes, cutthroat NFL agent industry, both Cook and Rodgers will want to be able to declare victory.

Each guy will want the other to go first — and then will try to beat the deal. Complicating matters is the possibility (as we pegged the moment the Seahawks suggested an outside-the-box approach to Wilson’s deal) that Wilson’s contract will be fully guaranteed. If Newton does a traditional contract, the winner and loser likely will be in the eye of the beholder.

Regardless, Wilson’s camp and Newton’s camp will desperately want to declare victory, and that dynamic will loom over both negotiations.

If this turns out to be true, yeesh :unsure:

Any clue on other players who Cook represents? Just shaddup, take a fair contract for both sides (it's going to be huge regardless), and your back will be scratched down the road with other clients the team is interested in.

I already hate this whole contract fiasco though. I feel like it's going to drag out right up to the season, and then one side gives in. So how about it just miraculously get done like today? Please?

I'm sure agent ego is a part of every single contract ever made in the NFL.

No doubt, but this is a little more direct.

And sad to say, the idea of an agent thinking "I'll get my current guy a better deal just to show that little twerp who fired me" isn't all that farfetched :(

I wouldn't call it ego. I call it their job. Greed maybe but getting contracts for their clients is the primary purpose of agents. Getting favorable contracts get's them the top clients.

I think this statement is where the "ego" angle of the story comes into play:

But Wilson fired Cook (without actually firing him), hiring baseball agent Mark Rodgers to handle the contract. In the high-stakes, cutthroat NFL agent industry, both Cook and Rodgers will want to be able to declare victory.

But Wilson fired Cook (without actually firing him), hiring baseball agent Mark Rodgers to handle the contract. In the high-stakes, cutthroat NFL agent industry, both Cook and Rodgers will want to be able to declare victory.

Pretty much.

Being an NFL agent - like being an NFL player or coach - usually involves an enormous ego.

Sure, you can look at it that way but as an agent who directly profits off of the deal I would think that is all the motivation they would need.

Sounds like Florio could just be making a story out of nothing, which PFT has been known for.

Sure, Cam's agent used to be Wilson's agent, but does Florio know him personally?

He doesn't claim this to be a reported fact. It's just an off season speculation/opinion piece about how human nature may affect negotiations based on the situation.  

Archived