• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Final Decision On Hardy : No Thanks

Jeremy Igo

Sorry, I was hoping for a great defense, not just effective.

Anyone who thinks we are better without Hardy need to turn in their football knowledge cards on their way out.

Unless Hardy is the greatest player to ever hit the field, then I'm pretty sure it's possible to replace him.

Hardy wasn't that great his rookie season, but who's to say our first round pick won't be a pass rusher that starts off quicker than Hardy did?

Who's to say Kony Ealy doesn't make a leap his second year?  Plenty of players do.

Is Hardy good?  Sure.

Is he easy to replace?  No.

But is he impossible to replace?

No.

Sometimes.  Allowing someone to hit free agency is effectively the same thing, so it's not even worth debating.

Incorrect. Even when they hit free agency players are often signed afterwards. 

I know Bill. For him to be this definitive about something so much in the public spotlight tells me a big dog told him in plain terms Hardy would 100% not be back. It isn't speculation. It is reporting. I've seen Bill work. I know his sources. 

I know, I know, its not your beloved bleacher report... but you can trust it. 

Hardy won't be back. 

• Pie 2

Publicly.

and telling someone who writes for a website about your team knowing full well they would write about it isn't making it public? I don't believe Voth got his speculation from Gettleman. I believe he got it from someone with the organization who believes they have their finger on Gettleman's pulse, and I don't doubt it's the likely outcome, but I also don't believe it's a done deal or even remotely close to official.
  • Pie 1

So is the "OMG WE LET MY FAVORITE PLAYER GO I HATE THIS TEAM I HOPE WE LOSE EVERY GAME I HOPE THEY GO TO OUR RIVALS AND BEAT US THE FRONT OFFICE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WINNING SCREW DAVE SCREW RON SCREW JERRY WE'LL NEVER BE ANY GOOD I'M GONNA HOLD MY BREATH TILL I TURN BLUE"  fiesta an annual thing now?

• Pie 1

So is the "OMG WE LET MY FAVORITE PLAYER GO I HATE THIS TEAM I HOPE WE LOSE EVERY GAME I HOPE THEY GO TO OUR RIVALS AND BEAT US THE FRONT OFFICE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT WINNING SCREW DAVE SCREW RON SCREW JERRY WE'LL NEVER BE ANY GOOD I'M GONNA HOLD MY BREATH TILL I TURN BLUE"  fiesta an annual thing now?

If so.... JStew is up in 2016. 

• Pie 1

Incorrect. Even when they hit free agency players are often signed afterwords. 

I know Bill. For him to be this definitive about something so much in the public spotlight tells me a big dog told him in plain terms Hardy would 100% not be back. It isn't speculation. It is reporting. I've seen Bill work. I know his sources. 

Hardy won't be back. 

If you're referring to Jason Cole, who is an award winning and respected sports journalist, have at it. Someone used Cole in a Bleacher Report article, so what? That makes Cole, or every article written on Bleacher Report invalid? Give me a break! Cole was the first to say that there was some interest by some with the Panthers organization to bring Hardy back.  I guess that just speaks of his bad reputation. 

Obviously a player can be re-signed after they hit free agency if the will between both parties is there.  They can obviously be signed by someone else, also.  Teams can and do at times make the public aware that they will not re-sign a player before the free agency period begins.    

You can argue with me with semantics all you like, but the fact is nothing is "official" until the Panthers come out and publicly say it.  Even still, no one is going to give anyone a cookie for reporting it as "official" before it's official.  

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

and telling someone who writes for a website about your team knowing full well they would write about it isn't making it public? I don't believe Voth got his speculation from Gettleman. I believe he got it from someone with the organization who believes they have their finger on Gettleman's pulse, and I don't doubt it's the likely outcome, but I also don't believe it's a done deal or even remotely close to official.

That's my thought. You tell Voth, you're telling the public, just not as a press conference.

Incorrect. Even when they hit free agency players are often signed afterwards. 

Hardy won't be back. 

People are in denial.

there's nobody in the NFL that would be a trade partner for a tagged player with a possible suspension hanging over his head. what was the last big tag and trade anyway? matt cassel?

that'd be even dumber than just letting him walk because it'd be a virtual guarantee that we'd be carrying his cap hit all year.

Yes, because you can't remove the tag at any moment and let them walk when you need the space....

Letting an asset walk for nothing is retarded,and we seem set on it. I'm also willing to bet that he ultimately isn't even suspended for the crime he never committed in the first place.

Yes, because you can't remove the tag at any moment and let them walk when you need the space....

Letting an asset walk for nothing is retarded,and we seem set on it. I'm also willing to bet that he ultimately isn't even suspended for the crime he never committed in the first place.

so let him walk for nothing anyway effectively accomplishing dick when nothing predictably happens with the trade? but hey at least we can say we tried which will make everyone happy.

we need the space the second free agency starts. what's the time table on a trade exactly? we'd need to have him traded almost instantaneously for this to work otherwise we'd be hauling his big ass cap figure around crippling our ability to sign anyone. there's no chance and you need to let it go. you have an ideological beef with the idea of "letting an asset walk for nothing" and it makes good soapbox banter but in reality there isn't a better alternative.

Edited by I Mean He Was Found Guilty