• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Not Set At Wide Receiver

Jeremy Igo

The panthers can afford that?  And get help in the secondary and get another D-lineman or 2 and get a 2nd TE?  All of that with maybe $10 million in cap room.  Hey I am all for it if they can I just don't want to go back to Hurney economics and spend every dollar you can now and fug the future up with contracts of Cam and Luke and Norman and at least 1 of either KK or Star coming up.

Has the draft been canceled?

Everyone wanting us to get another WR I just have one question.  Where is he going to play?  Greg Olsen will be on the field on almost every play.  Kelvin will see most of the snaps on offense.  They are not going to cut Brown or Ginn now.  Usually 4 or 5 receivers are active on gameday.  Cotchery would cost us money to cut right now and as much as people like to say he sucks he doesn't suck he is just not great and doesn't have great speed to stretch a defense.  I am not saying they won't get another receiver in FA or the draft.  I think they will, but maybe not a big time #2 receiver that everyone thinks we need so bad.  It would not surprise me if the only other receiver they get is like a 4th or 5th round draft pick like a Kenny Bell or Stefon Diggs or Tre McBride.  And they might not be active all year unless someone get injured.

if you june 1st cut Cotchery you save a decent amount of money. my preference is Hakeem Nicks. if you can sign Nicks you have:

WR1: Kelvin Benjamin

WR2: Hakeem Nicks

Slot: Ted Ginn Jr.

WR4: Philly Brown

TE: Greg Olsen

Yeah, we have a plethora of possession receivers, KB, Olsen and Cotchery...with Bersin being the fringe situational slot receiver.

would love an upgrade over Cotchery but know that we could find that in the draft. Ginn and Corey stretch the field so it's not like we need another burner.

No reason to spend the money on a #2 FA when we're probably gonna draft one regardless.

Dave won't put Cam in the same predicament that he did last year, count on there being a legit #2 when the season starts

I want to think that too, but I also remember saying over and over last year around this time that there was no way in hell we were going into camp with Byron Bell and Nate Chandler penciled in to start at LT and RT.  Lo and behold...

Why won't we even go after guys like Eddie Royal and Harry Douglas? I understand not breaking the bank on one WR, the problem is in Gettleman's mind, anything more than a 1-2 year contract for virtually vet minimum is considered breaking the bank in his mind and your just not going to land a legit no 2 WR with that mentality.

Torrey Smith yes would be pricey but isn't it worth paying a legit no 2 WR 7-8 mill a year who is only 26 years old and could be our no 2 for years to come? I'm starting to think Gman has commitment issues, has he even signed a single player to a legit long term contract?!

I'm starting to think thats why Cam isn't signed long term yet, I truly believe Gman has a legit fear of long term commitment.

You have to look at the big picture.  The draft is loaded at WR, RB, CB (not elite, but solid players).  The draft is not so loaded at TE, LT (most players have an asterisk), QB, LB, and S.  Why spend in areas where we can find talent in the draft if we have a limited amount of $$? 

Our money should be spent where we can't find good free agents.  Just my opinion.  I think Jaelen Strong, for example, is better than either of the players you mention and i think he would be cheaper. 

Everyone wanting us to get another WR I just have one question.  Where is he going to play?  Greg Olsen will be on the field on almost every play.  Kelvin will see most of the snaps on offense.  They are not going to cut Brown or Ginn now.  Usually 4 or 5 receivers are active on gameday.  Cotchery would cost us money to cut right now and as much as people like to say he sucks he doesn't suck he is just not great and doesn't have great speed to stretch a defense.  I am not saying they won't get another receiver in FA or the draft.  I think they will, but maybe not a big time #2 receiver that everyone thinks we need so bad.  It would not surprise me if the only other receiver they get is like a 4th or 5th round draft pick like a Kenny Bell or Stefon Diggs or Tre McBride.  And they might not be active all year unless someone get injured.

I just see things a little differently I suppose.  Both G-man and Rivera said that were were deficient in team speed, and pointed to our wide receiving corps as a primary area that needs to be upgraded.  G-man also said that he will look to upgrade every position.  We already know that both men believe in competition.  

I say all this because in my opinion there is no safe receiver on this squad except for Benjamin.  People like to throw Olsen in there, but technically he is not a receiver. Even if you include him as a de facto receiver, our receiving corps was pretty much a joke when it came to consistently getting separation and/or getting YAC.  Not one of them at this point in their careers as an individual, or the unit as a whole, causes fear in the opposition.  Don't be surprised if we not only pick up a receiver in free agency, but also a receiver in the draft.  Someone, maybe two, are not going to make it.  Might be Brown, Bersin, or even Cotchery (because we can actually save money by making him a post June 1 cut, and stand relatively little to lose even if we dont), because competition and execution trumps mediocrity. Winning a game in the playoffs is nice, but we've been there and done that (against a decidedly "injured" roster which happened to include Ginn). Now we want to go further, and real upgrades at the position of wide receiver are going to be what it takes.

I am going to assume that it was an oversight on our part not to include Denarius Moore.

The Huddle may want to prepare itself for Nicks, also.

I have no problem with Moore or Nicks just like Britt and Short more..

Archived