• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers absolutely need to give Jake Long an offer

Matthias

But that's what I'm saying, what's the downside?  If he can't play, we release him with minimal cap damage.  I don't think you sign him and then sit back and say that all of our OT concerns are solved, let's scratch that completely off the board.  If he can, great.  We get a serviceable plug and play LT on the cheap and Oher and Remmers battle it out for RT.  You still absolutely look to add a young stud in the draft if the opportunity is there.

If you can get that kind of cap friendly deal.  I'll grant that should be possible, but it's not guaranteed.

If we sign him, I'll be on board.  Just nervously so.

If you can get that kind of cap friendly deal.  I'll grant that should be possible, but it's not guaranteed.

If we sign him, I'll be on board.  Just nervously so.

I get that.  The only way I'd be for it would be a deal structured in a manner that would let us walk away with minimal risk if it didn't work out.  If the deal had to involve significant guaranteed money, I'd pass.

Well like others have said, we could probably put in incentives or give him a two-three year deal where we could release him the following year if it doesn't work. I do think we would have to have a better offer than other teams because as much as I hate to say it, free agents aren't necessarily attracted to us yet.

I think Gettlemen will start to learn this over time, hopefully. Players aren't coming here because of the franchise and the offer will have to be better than others.

I get that.  The only way I'd be for it would be a deal structured in a manner that would let us walk away with minimal risk if it didn't work out.  If the deal had to involve significant guaranteed money, I'd pass.

The deal would be everything.

You could try something like they structured for Dan Morgan (essentially a 'game by game' deal) but I gotta believe his agent would absolutely hate that.

I think Gettlemen will start to learn this over time, hopefully. Players aren't coming here because of the franchise and the offer will have to be better than others.

I think a culture of winning could change that perception. I think players like Cam and want to play with him. If we win 3 or 4 div titles in a row, that might shift the perception. It will take a lot longer for the media to make that shift but players would see it first I think.

Archived