• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The reason Cam isn't in a hurry to sign a contract

GoobyPls

Gross retired. So did Wharton and Hangartner. Gamble too after being told he wasn't coming back.

Smith was let go for numerous (valid) reasons. And Hardy, well...that story's been told.

Mitchell was offered a higher contract than he was worth (as the Steelers have since learned). And the other three you mentioned were all gone before Gettleman ever got here so discussing them is pointless in current context.

Cam and Luke are both set to receive new contracts shortly, probably next offseason when we have more cap room (which we;ll have because our GM is refraining from making dumb decisions).

And drafting well is the foundation for everything else, so it's useless without that.

You'd be wise to remember that out current 'franchise history' is in only its third year. Hurney doesn't work here anymore, so talking about how he ran the team is in this context, again, useless.

I don't need the reasons they left I know why, my point is that this org is content on allowing talent to walk out the door and not replacing it. Thus why we have always been inconsistent. Look even the best teams have to rebuild at some point I get that, but good teams improve till they reach the SB then rebuild. We on the other hand seem to always play catch up because of the non willingness to trade for troubled players and sign 2 tier FAs. Hurney, Dave, its the same thing. The last trade we made was Olson and that trade was made when Hurney was on borrowed time and one of the only trades we have made with another team. Yet it gave us one hell of a TE, yet we are not willing to take that risk once again?

I know the coach sets the depth chart and he sets it up with the talent that is available, which wasn't a lot.

The same Roman Harper that got a thread made about him every other week? the same Harper that gave up more big plays than any other DB.

Its funny how you skimmed over the part where I said Rivera had no choice but to start the guys Gettleman gave him. Norman wasn't gonna be named started after a putrid 2013 season and Bene was a rookie.

And like it or not Cam and Rivera have to do more with the team success than Gettleman, and has much as you dislike Rivera he's helped this team more than Gettleman that's for sure.

Look here boy, I'm not one of these yes-man that's gonna agree with every single move the GM is doing. or lack of moves to put it better. Its been the same way since 2011 not a single viable receiver has been signed through free agency, no trades and we have only drafted ONE WR in the first 2 rounds since Cam has been here. Its the same old story every year and I'm tired of it. Keep thinking about the future instead of present time cause that future might not include our franchise QB.

There's an old saying about keeping your mouth closed to avoid being thought a fool rather than opening it and removing all doubt.

To be clear, I didn't skim anything you said.  You were just wrong.  Rivera did have the choice to start Norman.  He also had the choice to start Andrew Norwell, Jonathan Stewart and others, but chose not to.  This is, by the way, the same coach who talked up guys like Sione Fua, Armanti Edwards, Captain Munnerlyn and others thay were later cut by, guess who.

And the reference to 2011 tells me a lot :lol: especially given that the guy you're criticizing didn't arrive until 2013.  And as was pointed out elsewhere, Gettleman has used half the draft picks made since taking the job on offense, plus undrafteds like Norwell and pickups like Remmers and Fozzy.  Plus, believe it or not, we get to draft again this year too.

And again, FYI since this is another thing you don't seem to know, whether Newton signs an extended contract or not, the Franchise tag ensures he's here for at the very least, three more seasons.

I don't need the reasons they left I know why, my point is that this org is content on allowing talent to walk out the door and not replacing it. Thus why we have always been inconsistent. Look even the best teams have to rebuild at some point I get that, but good teams improve till they reach the SB then rebuild. We on the other hand seem to always play catch up because of the non willingness to trade for troubled players and sign 2 tier FAs. Hurney, Dave, its the same thing. The last trade we made was Olson and that trade was made when Hurney was on borrowed time and one of the only trades we have made with another team. Yet it gave us one hell of a TE, yet we are not willing to take that risk once again?

You want to talk about guys that left but leave out the reasons?  Seriously?  :blink:

And yeah, if we'd have just traded a high pick for Josh Gordon, I'm sure we'd be in great shape now.

You want to trade for Mike Wallace perhaps?  You realize he carries a ten million dollar cap hit right?  We don't get any relief from that just because we traded for him.  That trade would have removed our ability to do pretty much anything else.

The team absolutely is making the effort to fill slots.  Just because they're not going after players you like doesn't mean they're not doing it.

And if you seriously think Hurney and Gettleman are similar in the way they do things, just wow :rolleyes:

Lot's of agendas in here.

Calm down, Cam hasn't signed an extension yet because both he, and DG know it's not the best time to do so.  We still aren't in great cap shape, however, we will be next offseason.  Cam has very little leverage in this situation, and he and his agent know this.  Cam is under contract this season, and we can use the tag for the next two on him.  That would put Cam in his 8th season becoming a FA, and if you can't see that this team is headed in a better direction by then, I don't know what to tell you.

Next year expect to see Cam signed long term, along with Luke, and probably an extension for KK or Star, depending on performance this year.

This team's future looks bright from where I'm sitting.

Because they haven't offered him the amount of money he wants.

I honestly don't think they've offered him anything yet. I think both sides know that the cap next year will allow us to make a market offer and Cam is fine with that. On top of that, Cam (and his agent) want to see if Wilson and Luck can set the market to allow Cam to know what a market value is.

I see no logical reason Cam will sign at all this year. Mr Scot points out that we could go franchise tag in order to force Wilson and Luck to set the market and Cam may want that. I'm not sure but that's a possibility.

You don't tag players that want to be free agents

Seriously? You actually posted that?  :blink:

The whole purpose for the tag is to keep players with whom you haven't been able to reach an agreement yet.

Remember Julius Peppers?  Even better, how about Lance Briggs?  Briggs had burned every conceivable bridge with the Bears when they tagged him, yet he played under the tag and eventually came out with a long term deal that kept him in Chicago up through this offseason.

Who would use the tag on someone that's already said "yes, I'm only interested in playing here"? 

Good grief :wacko:

....that's kinda the whole point of the tag.

The point of the tag is to give you extra time for both sides to work out a deal. If a guy flat out wants to walk, let him walk. Better yet trade him and get something for him. What QB has ever played a season under the tag? Don't worry I'll wait...

Archived