• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Brenton Bersin really that bad?

TN05

The numerous mistakes in the playoffs weren't his first time making mistakes fielding punts. Or the second. Or the third. He was poor at it all season. The one in the gif earlier in this thread was the MOST bone-headed of them, but he was bobbling punts and making other mistakes all season long.

So then don't have him as a returner. I question the former special teams coach as it seemed NO ONE they could put back there could even field the damn ball. Made no sense to me.

So then don't have him as a returner. I question the former special teams coach as it seemed NO ONE they could put back there could even field the damn ball. Made no sense to me.

But there's the second part to what I said.  He doesn't offer enough upside or value as a WR to justify a roster spot when he can't even contribute on ST.  He had a few catches, but surely we can find someone that can make 20 catches a season that can also contribute on ST.  And maybe even do something with the ball after they catch a pass...I'm not mad if we keep him on the team or anything, but I also don't see any legitimate reason to keep him.  I'd be thrilled if our WR corps is upgraded through the draft to look like:

KB

Jaelen Strong (or some other WR in the 1st)

Justin Hardy (or another speedy guy, or guy with great hands like Hardy's that has actual upside in the 3rd or 4th)

Brown

Cotchery

Ginn

We're not carrying more than 6 WRs, probably.  And if we only draft 1 WR this year, I could see us rolling with only 5 WRs on the roster with Webb or that App State kid as the WR/backup QB that's deactivated every game.

But there's the second part to what I said. He doesn't offer enough upside or value as a WR to justify a roster spot when he can't even contribute on ST. He had a few catches, but surely we can find someone that can make 20 catches a season that can also contribute on ST. And maybe even do something with the ball after they catch a pass...I'm not mad if we keep him on the team or anything, but I also don't see any legitimate reason to keep him. I'd be thrilled if our WR corps is upgraded through the draft to look like:

KB

Justin Hardy (or another speedy guy, or guy with great hands like Hardy's that has actual upside in the 3rd or 4th)

Brown

Cotchery

Ginn

We're not carrying more than 6 WRs, probably. And if we only draft 1 WR this year, I could see us rolling with only 5 WRs on the roster with Webb or that App State kid as the WR/backup QB that's deactivated every game.

Can he not play any other positions on special teams? I'm asking because I don't recall. I like the thought of strong and hardy though.

But there's the second part to what I said. He doesn't offer enough upside or value as a WR to justify a roster spot when he can't even contribute on ST. He had a few catches, but surely we can find someone that can make 20 catches a season that can also contribute on ST. And maybe even do something with the ball after they catch a pass...I'm not mad if we keep him on the team or anything, but I also don't see any legitimate reason to keep him. I'd be thrilled if our WR corps is upgraded through the draft to look like:

KB

Brown

Cotchery

Ginn

We're not carrying more than 6 WRs, probably. And if we only draft 1 WR this year, I could see us rolling with only 5 WRs on the roster with Webb or that App State kid as the WR/backup QB that's deactivated every game.

Thank goodness somebody gets it..

He's a 5th WR that offers nothing on special team or is a special play maker that you can design plays for..

You have a possession WR who can't be a starter and offers nothing on special teams.. So he's dead weight..

Your 5th WR should be something other than a possession WR. .

I personally thought sunshine played well this year. He had the most reliable hands of any of our receivers (maybe including Olsen), Someone will have stats and correct me if I am wrong. He does not have tremendous speed, will not play special teams, however I can see him as a prohel prototype player. If we run 3wide he could be a great slot receiver, I have also seen him work in the middle. I like his size, but especially his hands. He belongs on this roster for sure, as he develops his technique he will get better. Prohel wasn't the greatest speed machine in the game, however he became a slot monster. I can see bersin in that role and wish sunshine the best of luck!

KB

Brown

Cotchery

Ginn

20 catches for how many first downs? He was clutch.

Can he not play any other positions on special teams? I'm asking because I don't recall. I like the thought of strong and hardy though.

I'm sure he's capable, but he's not particularly fast, nor do I have any reason to believe he's a skilled tackler.  I mean, anyone CAN play special teams.  I'm sure Colin Cole COULD play ST.  Is there not someone that can do it better and serve other roles in a greater capacity is the question.

20 catches for how many first downs? He was clutch.

According to some other guy in this or another thread, can't remember where exactly, he had 15 catches for 12 first downs.  Clutch?  Eh, if we're using the term liberally.  Clutch to me requires some knowledge of the situation in which the plays were made.  And I certainly don't remember how many of his 12 first downs were in critical situations.  I do remember one or two that helped extend important drives in games.  I think those passes could have easily gone to Brown.  Brown was more clutch this past season, in my opinion.

edit:  Just noticed your avatar.  I'd say Bersin was about as clutch as the mustache on the guy's head in your avatar lol

It's hard to say how good of a receiver he is... I mean, our offense plays the type of game he fits into (a slow, methodical, third down possession scheme). On special teams, however, he's actual garbage.

Archived