• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steeler Doc Says CTE "Rare Phenomena"

Anybodyhome

As a football player you are stupid not to know the risks. I know the risks of driving, flying, skiing, crapping in a rest stop bathroom etc. but day in and day out I make the decision to do these things. If you choose to do something without knowing the risks or because some Dr hired by an NFL team says the risks of serious injury are low, then shame on you.

When I was in college all we heard about from the NCAA was "see what you hit". It was all about avoiding paralysis. I chose to play anyway. We didn't hear anything about concussions. Now the evidence and facts about concussions are out there for all to see. It's an individual decision.

To be fair, that was 100% on Reid. Shoulda read the scouting report : ).

I think a young Thomas Davis ended a promising Green Bay rookie wide receiver's career in football.

TD has laid some impeccably nasty hits on people.  Aaron Rodgers cited a hit from him once as being the hardest hit he'd ever taken and was feeling it long into the playoffs.

Terrance Murphy is the WR's name.

More people will have health related issues that will eventually lead to their premature demise from sitting on their ass for hours at a time every day playing video games than from playing football.  Life is full of things that will ultimately kill you.  If people want to play football or engage in literally hundreds of other activities that may ultimately at some point have a negative impact on their lives then so be it.  Acting like playing football is going to automatically equate to some kind of CTE death sentence is absurd to anyone who isn't a moron.  Of course we all know the media would never sensationalize something just for the hell of it, now don't we?

As a current youth football coach, looking back over 11 years of doing so, I can only count the major injuries, including concussions, on one hand. Even coaching at the 8th grade level where the boys have gained some body mass and speed, I still didn't see the "big" hits that many parents now think happen. The emphasis on CTE and concussions by the media has put a huge swing on the numbers in youth football for the negative. It's a shame.

Archived