• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alan "Blue Balls" Ball leaves Panther offer on table

CubsWin

I thought Harper ended the season on a High note as the rest of the team. No Reason to change that, when he also Helps the young guys be in the right place at the right time.

I'd say let competition in camp sort it all out. If Harper wins then so be it. If not, ok good. We've upgraded from a known quantity, which as you said played better towards the end. So win-win either way.

nothing wrong with a little competition

Of course not, but people talk as if Harper was the only guy who was at fault for our midseason struggles. He actually ended the season with with stats and play that i would consider more than adequate. But i would to like to see a young guy be brought in to compete with both Boston and Harper.

LOL, his Madden stats have him portrayed with the exact opposite strengths in comparison to the scouting report which says he's best in press/man. Madden has his press weak at 65 and 79 man while having 86 zone. BTW Madden also has Norman, Bene, and Ball all at 87 speed ouch!

Donny Moore, the guys who makes the Madden ratings, is a complete idiot though haha

Because he is 30

Also because we will likely draft a DB, I look at this signing as insurance in case a young DB we want 1) isn't there, 2) we draft a young DB that will need some time to be ready. On Paper Ball 6'2, Norman 6', and Bene 5'11/6' (depending where you look), with a 3 Safety rotation of Boston, Harper, Coleman things sound a bit more solid than this time last year. 

Factor in we'll likely add a DB/S via draft or UDFA or both the room for potential is nice with proven commodities already on the roster. 

I like this signing very solid player from everything I read, wish it was a two yr deal though

On a another note I have a question for everyone.....why is everyone so anxious to put Bene back in the slot he was arguably our best corner when he lined up outside

I like this signing very solid player from everything I read, wish it was a two yr deal though

On a another note I have a question for everyone.....why is everyone so anxious to put Bene back in the slot he was arguably our best corner when he lined up outside

I think the rationale is that Bene is more naturally suited to play the slot. Yes he worked out good on the outside but that his most natural position (and therefore where he will perform best) is the slot.

Now I'm not that guy that can tell you about moving hips and back pedaling etc. But that's what I've gathered from what I've read. Hope that helps.

Bene got burned deep by Seattle's receiver in the playoffs (I believe it was Kearse) because he didn't have the speed to keep up with him. He played like an elite nickel corner last year. He was solid on the outside (not nearly as good as Norman was) but not as good as he was at nickel. I think this signing is just to allow us to put Bene in the slot when we're in nickel packages and have Ball line up outside across from Norman. Would be an upgrade from Norman, Bene outside, and Colin Jones in the slot. I anticipate Norman and Bene will be the guys out there when we've got 3 backers.

Bene got burned deep by Seattle's receiver in the playoffs (I believe it was Kearse) because he didn't have the speed to keep up with him. He played like an elite nickel corner last year. He was solid on the outside (not nearly as good as Norman was) but not as good as he was at nickel. I think this signing is just to allow us to put Bene in the slot when we're in nickel packages and have Ball line up outside across from Norman. Would be an upgrade from Norman, Bene outside, and Colin Jones in the slot. I anticipate Norman and Bene will be the guys out there when we've got 3 backers.

Yes Bene got beat but I believe the safety was out of position as well. The throw was perfect and couldn't of been defended. If you can stop the player from catching the ball speed won't matter.

Archived