• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About those combine 40 times that follow a player around his career....

Jeremy Igo

I wouldn't be that worried about a time at a vet combine.  At the scouting combine, these guys are in the absolute prime of their lives.  They've spent the past several months training for the underwear olympics, and they go out and prove it.  At the vet combine, these guys have some wear on the tires, haven't been going over foot placements and false steps.  Bad sprinting habits have come back.  Basically, no one cares what kind of 40 you run after your pro day.

There is a reason they are there and not active in the FA period.  Some of those guys will get picked up as camp bodies and end up cut.  Some might catch back on again, but for most of these guys it's the end of the road.

I watched about half of the vet combine coverage and it was visible that these guys had lost a step.  The biggest difference was the first 4 steps.  some of the guys looked like they were carrying too much weight also.

The thing about the vet combine is it gives closure to these guys.  Most of them are done with their careers but they want that last chance to show they still got it.  And for some, they may be flying under the radar and get noticed, especially some of the QBs.  But for most this is the last stop.

Damn. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at those 40 times. Whippersnappers may start tuning in just for the comedic effect of seeing older guys figuratively falling off a cliff. For older guys, it is just a stark reminder that you can't outrun father time, and affirms our self-serving list of priorities that we model to the younger generation that running 40s are a lot less important than drinking 40s.

Archived