• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Maine's 2015 Mock Draft (Comp. Picks Included)

LOL

I didn't say it was smart or something I think should happen.

But I have heard it talked about on the Grantland NFL podcast and Move The Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah, as well as a few articles. 

There's just no way he is there at 25, is all I'm saying. 

You do realize Florida State's entire DL is filled grown ass men? The average weight on that core is 274.2 pounds. In addition, Duke also abused South Carolina's DL (an SEC team that continuously gets hyped for being Pro Ready).

If Gio Bernard could run for 690 yards in his rookie campaign behind those mid-tier run blockers, then why can't Duke (who has a thicker frame)?

Gio Bernard is in a RB by committee as well.. Hill is their main back thanks for making my point. .

Gio Bernard is in a RB by committee as well.. Hill is their main back thanks for making my point. .

So are you now saying the likes of Gio and Abdullah are scat backs too?  Because there's a difference between a RB that's best used in a committee and just a scat back.  Duke Johnson is clearly a homerun hitter at the RB position which is awesome (almost crucial) to have in a committee. Where are you making your distinguishing line that a RB is a scat back v. a shifty, smaller, between the tackles home run hitter?    

So are you now saying the likes of Gio and Abdullah are scat backs too? Because there's a difference between a RB that's best used in a committee and just a scat back. Duke Johnson is clearly a homerun hitter at the RB position which is awesome (almost crucial) to have in a committee. Where are you making your distinguishing line that a RB is a scat back v. a shifty, smaller, between the tackles home run hitter?

I'm guessing he just doesn't like him.

So are you now saying the likes of Gio and Abdullah are scat backs too? Because there's a difference between a RB that's best used in a committee and just a scat back. Duke Johnson is clearly a homerun hitter at the RB position which is awesome (almost crucial) to have in a committee. Where are you making your distinguishing line that a RB is a scat back v. a shifty, smaller, between the tackles home run hitter?

The funny part is you call him a home run hitter but he doesn't have elite speed. . Stewart is actually faster than Duke.. Duke is a shifty runner with very small stature.. His most used Comp is Shane Verreen.. Who is a scat back..

I also don't like the fact he isn't a good blocker nor does he liked to run between the tackles. .

I don't put too much stock in mocks, but I do appreciate the work and information.  I also appreciate a mock that is within the realm of possibility, and not overly optimistic.  Nice work!

Now, I will say that I would rather have Ray Drew than Za'Darius Smith. Drew is big, powerful and athletic, and is likely going to be a better pro in a 4-3 defense than he was at Georgia with arguably meager playing time and use as a space eater.   He is just going to have to be coached up at the position, as he basically only uses a bull rush and puts the opposition "on roller skates", as opposed to being an adept edge rusher. But Drew has talent, and he has the juice to become a big problem for the opposition in the pros with good coaching.

http://draftbreakdown.com/memberarticles/prospect-spotlight-georgia-dl-ray-drew/

(5) 161st Za'Darius Smith, DE Kentucky

6'4" 274lbs.

Big and powerful defensive end that is a good fit inside or outside in our 4-3 defense. Reportedly is a great team player and is an all-effort all the time type player that "plays like his hair is on fire." Not a great athlete and struggles getting low and bending, but he would be a good rotational piece with Ealy, Alexander, Addison, and Horton and could potentially develop into a situational pass-rusher. Has met already with the Panthers and seems like a Gettleman guy that will do the dirty work in the trenches for the betterment of his team. 

The funny part is you call him a home run hitter but he doesn't have elite speed. . Stewart is actually faster than Duke.. Duke is a shifty runner with very small stature.. His most used Comp is Shane Verreen.. Who is a scat back..

I also don't like the fact he isn't a good blocker nor does he liked to run between the tackles. .

I actually agree about him regarding fitting with us but I don't agree with him being labeled as a scat back.  I guess to each his own. 

We already have Perriman on our practice squad...Hill

Perriman and Hill are a lazy man's comparison.  Hill did nothing until his senior year in school, was only a vertical threat, and not a natural hands catcher.  He never had the natural fluidity that Perriman has displayed, nor the pure explosiveness and reported chemistry that Perriman had with his two quarterbacks.

Archived