• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Carolina Panthers Use an Early-Round Draft Pick on a Running Back?

Jeremy Igo

And why do you think that a draft pick even in the first round will magically fix our O line at left tackle.  For that matter 2 rookies.  I would think that by now folks have figured that linemen rarely come in and perform adequately in their rookie season.  Look at Matthews in Atlanta who was selected 6th in the draft which is long way from 25.  He was supposed to come in and fix their line.  Instead he struggled mightily.  Frankly you better hope Remmers and Oher and Martin can come in and start right away because they are going to be better than any rookie we are bringing in,

You should read a lot of my posts on the subject and you'll find I never said a draft pick will fix an oline. I have constantley said a pick is a long term investment, just look at my posts. Tackles will take time. I said we need talent, we need players that can be coached and and taught to play the position and have time to learn and grow. We need investments other than players other teams didn't want. And as I said a million times on this forum having a rookie suck vs. a 3 year vet like Bell is a HUGE difference, one is learning the position and sucking will be a learning curve vs. just sucking and having no absolutley no future because the talent isn't there and because the're not rookies. Either way there's going to be some bad play going on, I'd rather it be a rookie progressing than a player like Bell struggling because he flat out sucks. Drafting is important to make sure you're covering all your bases trying to find an upgrade to two of the worst tackles in the NFL.

You should read a lot of my posts on the subject and you'll find I never said a draft pick will fix an oline. I have constantley said a pick is a long term investment, just look at my posts. Tackles will take time. I said we need talent, we need players that can be coached and and taught to play the position and have time to learn and grow. We need investments other than players other teams didn't want. And as I said a million times on this forum having a rookie suck vs. a 3 year vet like Bell is a HUGE difference, one is learning the position and sucking will be a learning curve vs. just sucking and having no absolutley no future because the talent isn't there and because the're not rookies. Either way there's going to be some bad play going on, I'd rather it be a rookie progressing than a player like Bell struggling because he flat out sucks. Drafting is important to make sure you're covering all your bases trying to find an upgrade to two of the worst tackles in the NFL.

I can get behind the idea of drafting a tackle or two and agree that as long as everyone understands they will be a project and we need vets with starting experience in the meantime we are in agreement. With that said I would draft a tackle in the third or fourth round given that there are very guys in the third who are not big drop offs from those available at 25.

I don't think Oher or Martin will be as bad as Bell and believe that one or both will do a very good job for us. I am not resigned to bad play at this point. FWIW any player available in free agency is someone that another team either didn't want or didn't think they were worth paying what they wanted. I think Martin will thrive in this environment and am optimistic for Oher as well.

Stewart makes his own hole... that how he managed to be successful (and it explains why DeAngelo struggled).

Stewart didn't do anything early in the season. He improved after the line played better. Williams didn't run behind the improved line.

Put DWill behind the Cowboys line last year and he'd have gained 1300 yards.

Hint, my priority is on oline early.

Deangelo missed half the season being injured so did Fozzy and even though we were playing struggling teams at the end of the season, there weren't many players that had the success that we had running the ball with Stew and Fozzy.

we could draft a RB to eventually replace Stewart, but what would be the point when we have stew, Fozzy and reaves...not to mention Cams rushing ability..

I really liked what I saw from Fozzy...he hits the holes hard and has great balance and runs downhill.

and as it is well known, RBs are a dime a dozen. Fozzy outshines DLo and actually hit the holes rather than trying to run into the back of his OL for no gain.

Jay Ajayi in the second is fine.

Jay Ajayi would be great in the second

My fav RB in the draft and I'm one of anti-RB crew. If you could convince me gurly will have a long nfl career with very minor injuries, Id be on his bandwagon. I don't want to waste a pick on a RB til the 5th truly..... but if ajayi somehow makes it the panthers second round. I wouldn't be that upset, I guess.>_>

I can get behind the idea of drafting a tackle or two and agree that as long as everyone understands they will be a project and we need vets with starting experience in the meantime we are in agreement. With that said I would draft a tackle in the third or fourth round given that there are very guys in the third who are not big drop offs from those available at 25.

I don't think Oher or Martin will be as bad as Bell and believe that one or both will do a very good job for us. I am not resigned to bad play at this point. FWIW any player available in free agency is someone that another team either didn't want or didn't think they were worth paying what they wanted. I think Martin will thrive in this environment and am optimistic for Oher as well.

If there isn't a big drop off then they would be going in the 1st and 2nd round instead of the lower rounds.  There are 5-6 1st round grade OT's and one of them will drop to the Panthers.

Just look at the Cowboys  and 49rs I believe most of the OL draft where in the 1st round and they where picked in the bottom half  of the round for the most part.

Martin & Oher are like Honda Civics gets you from point A to B , we need  F -150 Raptor that dominate any obstacles!

If there isn't a big drop off then they would be going in the 1st and 2nd round instead of the lower rounds.  There are 5-6 1st round grade OT's and one of them will drop to the Panthers.

Just look at the Cowboys  and 49rs I believe most of the OL draft where in the 1st round and they where picked in the bottom half  of the round for the most part.

Martin & Oher are like Honda Civics gets you from point A to B , we need  F -150 Raptor that dominate any obstacles!

It is hard to say what Gettleman seems to value the most. Common thought he loves his hog mollies but given we passed on OT last year and brought in Martin and Oher, the thought may be that we need to shore up other positions such as a RB, or WR or even a DE over a tackle that likely would not start right away.  Compare that to a WR for example who might come in and play right away depending on who we pick.  Or a guy like Gurley who could compete for stating time day one.

I dont agree that Martin or Oher are Honda Civics.  They are actually guys who started in the league and were good.  Oher had injuries and Martin had the unfortune to be stuck on a Miami team with a crazy and undisciplined locker room.  I think folks are going to be upset again when we skip over drafting a tackle in the first round and go elsewhere.  Obviously it depends on who is available and who is taken at other positions.  But there is no magic in the first round as to who will be a boom or bust compared to the second or third other than most times you hold on to the first rounder longer increasing the chance they stick simply because they were a first rounder.  I want us to draft guys in the first 2 rounds that make an immediate impact rather than serve as depth for 2 years and then start.

Archived