• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kiper is starting to hype up Perriman. What are the chances...

Matthias

I think that a lot of receivers are going to end up over drafted based on last year's success.  Or rather there will be a run on receivers.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out, if guys are as good this year as they were last year.

On to Cooper, if he approaches 10, I think folks are going to start trading up to get him.  All of the talking heads and draftnics are all over him being so incredibly pro ready, an instant starter with the potential to be super-duper good.  Unless the Panthers are the ones trading up, I don't see him being around for our pick.

GMs diss Mel Kiper all the time. I wouldn't be concerned what he says. I would be surprised if Perriman gets drafted in the first round let alone top 10.

Brandt, Cosell, and Mayock share the same sentiments about Perriman. He won't go top 10 most likely but he will be a first round pick. Mayock mentioned just the other day that he has Parker and Perriman about even for third best receiver in the draft. His word isn't gold but he knows more than the casual fan. Brandt and Cosell both believe the concerns over Perriman's hands are overblown.

All year everyone pretty much knew Amari Cooper was going to be the first receiver picked in the draft.  Yet after Kevin White's combine workout, many now believe he will be the first wideout taken, perhaps by the Raiders.  This morning I heard Kiper on Sportscenter talking about the possibility of the Rams taking Perriman with the 10th pick.

Now my personal opinion is Cooper will still be the first receiver taken.  I don't care about White's workout.  The Raiders would be absolutely fools to pass up Amari Cooper just because a guy was a little bigger and a little faster.  Yet like I said, now Perriman is being hyped up because he's "a little bigger and a little faster" (At least in terms of workouts)  Well, DeVante Parker is "a little bigger" and about as fast.  It's also possible for a team to fall in love with Dorial Green-Beckham.  He's definitely bigger and the only questions around him are off the field.  If it weren't for that, he most likely would have been the first receiver off the board.

What I'm trying to say is, if Kevin White and Breshad Perriman are taking in the top 10, and Copper falls, what are the chances he will still be on the board when we pick when guys like Parker and Beckham are still floating around in the teens?

I guess my argument would be regarding the ceiling of the receivers in question.  Everyone agrees Cooper is the surest WR in the draft.  Yet many are looking at Kevin White's ceiling as a reason to pick him over Cooper.  The same could be said for Parker, Perriman, Beckham, maybe Strong, some might even say Coates.  Personally, I believe Cooper will be the best out of them all throughout their respective careers.  Yet sometimes these GMs start thinking too much.  

Kiper actually had Perriman going top 20 even before the combine. He's been on that train for a while.

To answer your question, there is zero chance Cooper is available at 25. There is a small possibility that he does drop into the mid teens, but we would have to trade up to get him at that point and it would take our 1st and 2nd.

yep, Kiper been pushing Perriman since before the combine. he had him going to the 49ers at 15 in mid february.

I guess my argument would be regarding the ceiling of the receivers in question. Everyone agrees Cooper is the surest WR in the draft. Yet many are looking at Kevin White's ceiling as a reason to pick him over Cooper. The same could be said for Parker, Perriman, Beckham, maybe Strong, some might even say Coates. Personally, I believe Cooper will be the best out of them all throughout their respective careers. Yet sometimes these GMs start thinking too much.

Mayock was on record the other day saying that Cooper has the highest floor while White has the highest ceiling. I like both of them and don't think a team could go wrong with either one.

Ah, I forgot about Strong.  The interesting thing to note is all these guys ran good 40 times.  Out of all of them, Cooper is the smallest.  No one expected Aaron Rodgers to fall as far as he did, and he plays a much more important position.  I guess if Cooper does start to fall pass 15, should we move up to get him or should we gamble and wait?

If Cooper is there in the mid teens then I'd absolutely try and trade up to get him by offering our 1st and 2nd. He's the second best player in the draft so I'd be all over that. The problem is that every team from the 11th pick through the 16th pick all have a fairly large need at WR so they would likely be asking for more than fair value to give up their pick and the chance to draft Cooper. I wouldn't give up more and than a 1st and a 2nd so in that case I probably let it go. If he gets to 17 or 18 then you can probably make a fair deal with SD or KC, but even those teams have some need at WR.

It's a long way for him to fall with a lot of teams that really need a WR. It's hard to see him dropping too far once he gets out of the top 10, but I'd be trying to get him if he did.

Kiper on Stephen Hill (had him going in the first round to the Niners) -- " Hill is the biggest home-run threat in the draft when you combine his speed and size, and it's no secret the 49ers need some help at wide receiver, even with the additions of Randy Moss and Mario Manningham. He'll need an adjustment period as he gets used to doing more in terms of scheme than he was asked at Georgia Tech, but he's the kind of weapon this offense needs to expand."

Now, I hope Kiper is right about the adjustment period, but his eye for talent does not exceed the boundaries of the internet scouts. 

Kiper and McShay are loud mouthed hacks. The only national media "draft experts" I pay much attention to are Cosell and Mayock.

As for actual draft experts, I really don't think there are any, because no one gets it 100 percent right. It's kind of like a March Madness bracket. But let me say that as far as scouting and evaluation, I have read that Gil Brandt pretty much transformed the process into what it is today. The guy has a lot of knowledge.

As for actual draft experts, I really don't think there are any, because no one gets it 100 percent right. It's kind of like a March Madness bracket. But let me say that as far as scouting and evaluation, I have read that Gil Brandt pretty much transformed the process into what it is today. The guy has a lot of knowledge.

Forgot about Brandt.  He's a good one too.

Everyone's opinion is just that - their opinion.  There's nothing anywhere even close to a consensus in terms of a player's draft prospects.  Every team's draft board probably looks quite a bit different based on their scouts' opinions, their needs, and the type of systems they run.

Archived