• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Job interview advice

ZeroZeroSeven

I have a job interview tomorrow and I would really like to bring some examples of my reports and projects however, I feel a bit uncomfortable doing it since the reports are confidential and designated for internal use by my current employer.  But here is the caveat - my current employer and potential future employer are not even in the same industry so it's not like I'm divulging information to a competitor.  My thought is if I bring them and control their dissemination, I should be okay but I would like to get some advice on how to proceed?  Thoughts and comments are much appreciated!

I have a job interview tomorrow and I would really like to bring some examples of my reports and projects however, I feel a bit uncomfortable doing it since the reports are confidential and designated for internal use by my current employer. But here is the caveat - my current employer and potential future employer are not even in the same industry so it's not like I'm divulging information to a competitor. My thought is if I bring them and control their dissemination, I should be okay but I would like to get some advice on how to proceed? Thoughts and comments are much appreciated!

I would not do this at all.

Be prepared to articulate what you do and the types of reports you have created. Do NOT show those from another company.

I would agree. It's amazing how small the world really is. Someone at this place might know someone at your current place.

The interviews that impress me the most are those who can tell the story of what they have done. Don't just talk about the projects but how you solved the problems. Put yourself in the shoes of the person interviewing you and try to think of what problems they face in their role. Try to articulate how you have solved those types of problems before. I have to hire very technical people but I will hire someone with less experience that has a knack for solving needs and a desire to learn and grow.

I would agree. It's amazing how small the world really is. Someone at this place might know someone at your current place.

The interviews that impress me the most are those who can tell the story of what they have done. Don't just talk about the projects but how you solved the problems. Put yourself in the shoes of the person interviewing you and try to think of what problems they face in their role. Try to articulate how you have solved those types of problems before. I have to hire very technical people but I will hire someone with less experience that has a knack for solving needs and a desire to learn and grow.

Great advice.

More impirtant to be able to articulate how you identified and solved a business problem rather than how you built a report.

Turn it into a discussion on problem solving rather than task completion.

If I'm interviewing you I wouldn't hire you based on the fact. right off the bat you tip the interviewer off that you may not be trust worthy with confide tial information. For HR and any MIS, the #1 biggest threat to a company are the employees.

I'm not saying you're a bad person but the interviewer may see it that way. Don't do it.

Be yourself. See what job intels and try to make employer see that you are right men for the job. Also, very important, make sure u fit into company culture and what they are trying to accomplish. It will literally comedown to your experience and if they like you as a person.

Whenever I have a job interview, I use Facebook and LinkedIn to learn more about people that will interview me. You can find their interests and other things which will boost your confidence level because you feel you know them somewhat.

So i shouldn't talk about catching a contractor that has been stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars just by checking up on their work?

It's not really a question I just wanted to brag. And now suddenly they want to give me an extension

DUDE I TOLD YOU I WOULD GIVE YOU A CUT!!!! fugin choir boy.

Be yourself. Don't talk too much. And relax. That's the strategy I used over the past year and I have secured a great starting job because of it.

I also did use a work sample in the form of a project scope statement, but edited out bits of confidential information such as number figures and part descriptions. I don't think showing them evidence in paper form will hurt you as long as there isn't anything too specific on there. However some of these guys in this thread are hiring managers and know much better than I do as a soon to be college grad.

Archived