• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Edmund Kugbila

cardiackat88.

So, this guy looks like a miss by Gettleman.  But if you go back and look at the guys drafted around him, and the linemen taken after him, most of them are riding the bench also.  He hasn't been able to develop into anything yet, mainly because of his injuries, but that doesn't mean he won't.

And frankly, expecting 4th round picks to develop into every-down starters is a good way to set yourself up for disappointment.  In our last five drafts, we've taken Eric Norwood, Brandon Hogan, Frank Alexander, Joe Adams, Kugbila, and Tre Boston in the fourth.  At this point, only Alexander looks like he's developed, and that's largely based on training camp reports and limited appearances late last year.  Boston looks like we got real lucky.  So that's just a 1/3 hit rate on that round, which is on par with the rest of the league.

Maybe he becomes something, maybe not.  But as long as our guards next season are as good as or better than Turner and Norwell, I'm happy.

So, this guy looks like a miss by Gettleman. But if you go back and look at the guys drafted around him, and the linemen taken after him, most of them are riding the bench also.

The player drafted immediately after Kugbila has been Green Bay's starting LT for 32 straight games.

Frame it correctly, everyone.  The OL coaches worked him out and liked him.  Kugbila was, and I think Gettlemen will agree, a "boom or bust" candidate to begin with--but we had some initial success (it seemed at the time) from Silatolu, another small-school lineman.   In both cases, injuries have been huge determinants of their success. 

I, for one, think he is still on the roster for a reason.  Since nobody knows how he plays, you can only (fairly) complain about his injury history.  Players complain that they feel like they disappear on the IR--drives them crazy.  Is it possible that Kugbila emerges into a solid backup G?  If he does, was he worth a 4th round pick?

And yes, you can find an OL who was drafted after Kugbila who has had more success.  I bet for every one you find drafted after Kugbila that succeeded, I can find one who was drafted before Kugbila and failed.  One case does not prove a point.

And yes, you can find an OL who was drafted after Kugbila who has had more success.  I bet for every one you find drafted after Kugbila that succeeded, I can find several who were drafted before Kugbila and failed.  One case does not prove a point.

Fixed it for you bud.  By his logic, every QB ever taken before Brady should have been a star.

And yes, you can find an OL who was drafted after Kugbila who has had more success.  I bet for every one you find drafted after Kugbila that succeeded, I can find one who was drafted before Kugbila and failed.  One case does not prove a point.

like most 4th rounds it consisted of one or two solid players with name recognition surrounded by a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_draft

Frame it correctly, everyone.  The OL coaches worked him out and liked him.  Kugbila was, and I think Gettlemen will agree, a "boom or bust" candidate to begin with

This is why I didn't care for the Amini pick.  We only had 5 picks in that draft with plenty of holes to fill.  We simply didn't have the luxury of rolling the dice on a boom or bust small school prospect.  I feel like we do have that luxury this year with 9 picks.  Wouldn't surprise me a bit if we roll the dice on a boom/bust prospect in the mid rounds this year.

like most 4th rounds it consisted of one or two solid players with name recognition surrounded by a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_draft

Several of those guys are solid contributors for their teams. Most people just have no idea because they aren't stars but you're not really looking that for out of a 4th or 5th rounder. Ask fans of any other teams and 99% of them probably have no clue who AJ Klein and Tre Boston are, but we consider them to be very good picks because they were.

Kugbila was just a big miss, but that's fine. No GM bats 1.000, Gettleman included.

There is no need to bother attempting to deny the fact that at this point Kubgila looks to be a swing and a miss.

But out of all our other successful picks, it's small in the grand scheme of things.

At this point it looks to be less a talent issue with Kubgila, and more a matter of he just cannot get on the field.

bhaktiari might have been the best pick out of that entire round. green bay had 11 picks going in to that draft compared to carolina's 5 too.

He probably was.

Here are the games started for the 10 picks following Kugbila outside of Bhaktiari:

2,0,0,0,6,0,0,7,2,0 (I left QB picks out of the list)

It's the fourth round, most of the picks were boom or bust picks. It would probably be more accurate to call them "hope they are decent or bust picks".

Take into account he has played basically no football since he was drafted here and was a project to begin with. Sitting in on meetings and film does not equate to field experience. This horse has never left the starting gate. To expect anything at all at this point is being generous.

Archived