• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Signing 1st Overall Pick

Paintballr

Anyone remember when it was a big deal to strike a deal with the 1st overall pick BEFORE the draft even started? What happened to this? Has the new Rookie cap stopped this from being a big deal?

I remember Mario Williams signed, I think Russell did as well? Just wonder if Tampa knows they are picking Winston why not go ahead and start contract talks?

with the new CBA, there's not a big incentive like there used to be. With those $50 million+ contracts for someone who never played a snap in the NFL both parties had a long time to discuss the contract. Now there's a limit and that contractual dispute is out of the window. That's one reason IIRC.

Not necessary with the new rookie wage scale.

I remember it used to be done. QBs drafted #1 would get bigger raises over last year's #1, then the next year, a DE or LT would go #1 and want more $$$ than the QB got last year. Caused lots of holdouts, and haven't seen those since the new rookie wage scale.

Anyone remember when it was a big deal to strike a deal with the 1st overall pick BEFORE the draft even started? What happened to this? Has the new Rookie cap stopped this from being a big deal?

I remember Mario Williams signed, I think Russell did as well? Just wonder if Tampa knows they are picking Winston why not go ahead and start contract talks?

Though I agree with the rookie wage scale comments, who says they haven't?

Having the top pick gives team's leverage in case they arent happy enough with a player and can get extra picks and possibly more valuable players.

Just so happens that this year there are quite a few teams that covet both or one or the other of the QBs at the top and no team is just gonna give up their right to entertain talks concernkng that coveted pick.

Archived