• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Secondary Roles of Shaq, Bene, Tillman,etc.

mpugh6

I agree with you. I think that he will compete at weakside linebacker and learn how to play safety in practice until he is ready to start. He will learn as fast as he can and his effort hasn't been questioned so it will simply be a matter of getting enough reps at both positions in order to learn his responsibilities in this defense. As you know, McDermott's defense requires high accountability and any breakdowns can result in big gains for the opponent. I hope he is a quick learner and a good instinctive player. I like his athleticism but here we go again with the rookies. Call me biased but I like veterans to start until the rookies show they know what they should be doing all the time. Or have the speed to recover and minimize the damage. As a panther fan you have to hope he lives up to the faith the Panthers had in drafting him in the first round. I will be his biggest fan once he proves to be the best guy out there.

And who says he has to learn multiple positions right away? I can easily see Shaq just playing WLB while TD is the one moving around and playing different positions at Jacksonville. Then if Shaq catches on quick, switch them at mid-season. If he's doesn't catch on quick and needs more time, leave him at Will all year to get experience then move him around next year.

Makes sense.

TL;DR Move the vet around and keep the rookie in one position.

I think it is awesome, because like mentioned on some thread, not having to substitute during "hurry up offenses" would be great. Tillman could move from FS to CB. Bene could slide inside. Shaq could take a SS hybrid slot. Or Shaq could just pick up the TE.

I don't think Tillman is going to move to FS. 

I think Tillman and Norman are the starting corners with Bene as the nickel

Boston is the FS for now and the SS is Harper, although that position may be up for grabs.

Don't get me wrong I know none of the positions are locked in but this is probably how it will play out.

And who says he has to learn multiple positions right away? I can easily see Shaq just playing WLB while TD is the one moving around and playing different positions at Jacksonville. Then if Shaq catches on quick, switch them at mid-season. If he's doesn't catch on quick and needs more time, leave him at Will all year to get experience then move him around next year.

Makes sense.

TL;DR Move the vet around and keep the rookie in one position.

You cant argue with the fact that Davis can still cover and he better understands where he has to be all of the time.  It really takes a player a year or two to really learn this defense.  Unless you are Kuechly who is a phenom. I can see real value when he can play both linebacker and safety in the nickel. Especially with Harper being a real liability in the passing game. Maybe he is right in that he will great because he has Kuechly and Davis to mentor him. 

Shaq stays on the field with Bene or Tillman replacing Harper vs. 3+ WR sets.

When we face teams with bigger, older #2 WRs like Roddy White, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, or Andre Johnson, I'd expect Tillman to be the #2 CB. He'd match-up better against those bigger, slower guys.

When we face smaller, faster, younger #2 WRs like Victor Cruz, DeSean Jackson, or Randall Cobb, Benwikere should be the #2 CB to match-up against that speed and quickness better.

Absolute gold coming from those fingers of yours

Bump Johnson inside on passing downs, put Addison on the RT because of his quickness, Johnson and Short on the inside and Ealy on the LT and they should get to the QB within no time

Yeah...not that comfortable with Tre as a starting SS. Definitely see Shaq as the starting WLB that plays coverage on TE and slot and just plain OLB on running plays. Maybe drops back as a SS for spread formations.

front-4 CJ KK Star FA

Middle field Shaq Luke Davis

CB Norman, Bene

S Tillman Norman

Archived