• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who will be our third receiver/man the slot?

Roebling

Firstly, let's assume Funchess starts opposite Benjamin. That is the expectation. They had a first round grade on him, and he, apparently, did very well on the chalkboard with Proehl.

With what we know, Cotchery, Philly, Ginn, and Boykin will be the ones really fighting for it. I'm thinking Funchess might get some time in the slot, but that third receiver role has some solid competition.

If I had to guess, I really do think it will be a committee between Cotchery, Ginn, and Brown.... With Brown being the most used. I think Ginn will be mixed in to really keep opponents honest on the deep pass, Cotchery gives us a solid over the middle target from the slot, and Brown gives us the most flexibility, providing us with both speed, after the catch ability, and the overall package he really brings.

I don't think Boykin really helps us now. He dropped way too many balls in Green Bay after having a respectable season previous. We need a more reliable or speedy target than he really provides. Thoughts?

I think Philly has a chance to be a legitimate threat in the slot. We have our two monsters on the outside with Benji and now D-Funch. I really believe this staff is high on Philly, and they believe that he can be the guy that stretches the field in certain situations. We will definitely give Ginn looks on certain plays but I think this job is for Philly to win. 

Based on the talk from Gettleman and Rivera, I'd say Corey Brown has the best shot at the moment, but Ted Ginn is also a strong possibility.

If Hill makes the team, maybe, but he was never really an ideal slot guy.

Right now, I don't necessarily see more than four receivers active on game day, but that could change.

I can't imagine Boykin or Cotchery on the team come September. I think Hill has a better chance than Boykin.

In press conferences, he is lauded for teaching Benjamin, and being a savvy vet. They consistently said, "Don't forget about Cotchery" since they drafted Funchess. Go watch the videos. They really give you a lot of insight.

I don't see him being cut with a wr corp made of, almost completely, young players. He can really help them grow, and provides some solid skills that our other receivers do not.

In press conferences, he is lauded for teaching Benjamin, and being a savvy vet. They consistently said, "Don't forget about Cotchery" since they drafted Funchess. Go watch the videos. They really give you a lot of insight.

I don't see him being cut with a wr corp made of, almost completely, young players. He can really help them grow, and provides some solid skills that our other receivers do not.

They said 'don't forget about Cotchery' after they kept forgetting about Cotchery. Rivera listed off every receiver and how they'll play a role for us, except Cotchery.

Perhaps, but someone will still have to be that third wheel.

rivera and dg said he was going to be playing 3 different positions.

this was me alluding to the idea that we are going to have a lot of different WR looks because of funchess' flexibility.

Archived