• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman on the Funchess Pick

Jeremy Igo

What strikes me funny reading how much they liked his football knowledge is, if I recall correctly, Josh Norris on Rotoworld said he didn't think he was very "football smart" :lol:

I've seen that in multiple reports as well. Kind of confusing. I'll take DG's word for it over the analysts. Only because the analysts are wrong much more often than not. I can only look to a couple specific times where I thought DG was in the wrong.

It's probably everything we mentioned. :startle:

The 'word' is, he can't catch. However, not being able to catch is not always about stone hands. He may actually have good hands in isolation. Not being able to pick up the blitz, corners, pass rushes, and routes may confuse him enough to where he's lost on the play, and/or can't concentrate enough to catch the ball.

Also, a lot of speed guys, can't cut and always run routes the best, relying mostly on their speed. Problem is; once NFL DB's back off of you, and/or play you physically, speed and finesse guys may not like it.  :sick:

My thoughts as well.  Concentrating so much on everything else, instead of it being "natural" that he loses focus on the catching part.

I've seen that in multiple reports as well. Kind of confusing. I'll take DG's word for it over the analysts. Only because the analysts are wrong much more often than not. I can only look to a couple specific times where I thought DG was in the wrong.

Pretty sure most of those analysts never actually quizzed him.

Not sure what happens with his 40 at the combine, but 4.47 is fast even at a pro day.

If you recall, kelvin only ran a 4.6 or so at the combine and decided not to run it again at the pro day, presumably because he didn't think he could do much better.

Funchess' other combine events were better than Kelvins. Bench, Broad jump, and vertical leap. If Gettleman says he has football smarts too, we may have landed a seriously talented receiver.

Smarts separates a player like Jerry Rice from a player like Kenny Brit. Aside from being an idiot off of the field, Brit doesn't understand how to be an NFL WR. He'll always be the third best on a team because of that.

As somebody that didn't follow this draft at all, I'm glad to hear this.

I love how armchair GM compare players. . This kid is more of a Bolden than KB.. He is better route runner. . Smoother in his hips and breaks and has less to learn about the position than KB did..

I agree with football IQ being overlooked, not only by fans by scouts, GMs, coaches too.

My opinion of the draft is dave and crew starting believing his hype. Got faaaar too cute this year with thinking they where smarter than everyone else. With the last two years of success, its hard not patting yourself on the back and getting a big ballon head.

This pick more than shaq, will determine whether its a winner or flat out bust draft class. They moved ahead of the falcunts&iants to prevent this so called seconded coming of jimmy graham. We will see how the great shula using graham 2.0 aka funchess.

Lastly they are putting a lot stock into what each on the " board " in one day. We'll see if it was a fluke or real football smarts.

I agree with football IQ being overlooked, not only by fans by scouts, GMs, coaches too.

My opinion of the draft is dave and crew starting believing his hype and got faaaar too cute this year with thinking they where smarter than everyone else. With the last two years of success, its hard not patting yourself on the back and getting a big ballon head.

This pick more than shaq, will determine whether its a winner or flat out bust draft class. They moved ahead of the falcunts&iants to prevent this so called seconded coming of jimmy graham. We will see how there great shula using graham 2.0 aka funchess.

Lastly they are putting a lot stock into what each on the " board " in one day. We'll if it was a fluke or real football smarts.

So, would you rather have them go off someone Else's success or draft board!? :startle:

I wonder, how that would have went over with The Huddle and Panther fans? :phew:

All jokes aside: It's easy to knock a front office when their pick don't work out. However, based off the Panthers recent track record, I'll give a wait and see attitude, or the benefit of the doubt. :thumbsu:

Archived