• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UDFA Brandon Wegher - Highlights

Former Hawkeye Wegher charged with assault

BY DI STAFF | MARCH 22, 2012 6:30 AM

button.png

Former Iowa running back Brandon Wegher was arrested in Akron, Iowa, on March 15 and charged with domestic-abuse assault, according to documents obtained by the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

Wegher allegedly pushed his brother, Cole, so that his head struck a kitchen counter. Domestic-abuse assault is a simple misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a maximum fine of $625.

Akron police Officer Jared Gares said in an affidavit that he responded to a domestic disturbance at around 7:30 p.m. March 15. Gares saw "a small bump" on Cole Wegher's head — although Brandon Wegher denied touching him — and took the ex-Hawkeye into custody.

Cole Wegher filed a no-contact order against his brother on March 16. The order will remain in place until it is terminated by the court, until the case is dismissed, or until Brandon Wegher is sentenced.

Wegher ran for 641 yards and set an Iowa freshman record with 8 rushing touchdowns in 2009. He left the team for personal reasons during preseason camp in 2010, and attempted to walk on at Oklahoma in January 2011; the NCAA deemed him ineligible, and Sooner coach Bob Stoops said Wegher was no longer with the team in March 2011.

He transferred to Iowa Western Community College but was academically ineligible to play in 2011.

He was arrested in October on a warrant for public intoxication and charged with eluding police in Council Bluffs. The latter charge was later dismissed; he was found guilty of public intoxication and fined $100.

— by Seth Roberts

He was arrested in October on a warrant for public intoxication and charged with eluding police in Council Bluffs The latter charge was later dismissed; he was found guilty of public intoxication and fined $100.

— by Seth Roberts

Surprised the managed to catch him, looks plenty elusive to me.

BY DI STAFF | MARCH 22, 2012 6:30 AM

button.png

Former Iowa running back Brandon Wegher was arrested in Akron, Iowa, on March 15 and charged with domestic-abuse assault, according to documents obtained by the Cedar Rapids Gazette.

Wegher allegedly pushed his brother, Cole, so that his head struck a kitchen counter. Domestic-abuse assault is a simple misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a maximum fine of $625.

Akron police Officer Jared Gares said in an affidavit that he responded to a domestic disturbance at around 7:30 p.m. March 15. Gares saw "a small bump" on Cole Wegher's head — although Brandon Wegher denied touching him — and took the ex-Hawkeye into custody.

Cole Wegher filed a no-contact order against his brother on March 16. The order will remain in place until it is terminated by the court, until the case is dismissed, or until Brandon Wegher is sentenced.

Wegher ran for 641 yards and set an Iowa freshman record with 8 rushing touchdowns in 2009. He left the team for personal reasons during preseason camp in 2010, and attempted to walk on at Oklahoma in January 2011; the NCAA deemed him ineligible, and Sooner coach Bob Stoops said Wegher was no longer with the team in March 2011.

He transferred to Iowa Western Community College but was academically ineligible to play in 2011.

He was arrested in October on a warrant for public intoxication and charged with eluding police in Council Bluffs. The latter charge was later dismissed; he was found guilty of public intoxication and fined $100.

— by Seth Roberts

hmmmmmmm........so about us staying away from players with issues....

My suspicion is that JR doesn't know much about this... and because it really isn't a big story... They're not going to bring it up.

Hope he pans out and can replace Mike Tolbert. Could be a special teams nightmare.

I think it matters also that his violence was against his brother and not against a woman. In essence, he and his brother got in a fight and his brother got a "bump on his head". Got upset. And filed a no contact order against his brother. That's a lot different than beating up a woman or throqwin her down some stairs or whatever.

Then it seems like leading up to it, he was in a bad place and was a bit lost in life. Seems like he may have gotten it together now. Let's hope so. Even if he becomes a sensation, I don't think this story has much legs. Society views assault on a woman significantly different than assault on your brother at home.

I think it matters also that his violence was against his brother and not against a woman. In essence, he and his brother got in a fight and his brother got a "bump on his head". Got upset. And filed a no contact order against his brother. That's a lot different than beating up a woman or throqwin her down some stairs or whatever.

Then it seems like leading up to it, he was in a bad place and was a bit lost in life. Seems like he may have gotten it together now. Let's hope so. Even if he becomes a sensation, I don't think this story has much legs. Society views assault on a woman significantly different than assault on your brother at home.

This.....the domestic assault was over an argument/fight with his brother.

Dear God, my brother and I would have been locked up for life if this were the case.  We literally beat the hell out of each other as teenagers.

Archived