• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

First Look - Devin Funchess

Jeremy Igo

As far as how Funchess looks while he plays....

it reminds me a bit of this guy.

T.O.-arms-extended.jpg

No, I am not saying he is the next TO. But the way he moves and his athleticism is similar.

The way I'm hearing TE body that is a WR, how do you think he compares to Marques Colston?

Pie for you.this thrilled my daughter as we looked at ballball players as she says. she's 2. She yells panthers when we see pics of football. Trying to train her up right.

very nice. my daughter is almost 2 and says booball and freaks out when she sees panthers.

next generation motherfugers

• Pie 4

As far as how Funchess looks while he plays....

it reminds me a bit of this guy. 

T.O.-arms-extended.jpg

No, I am not saying he is the next TO. But the way he moves and his athleticism is similar. 

Igo I was thinking more of a Boldin Type when i made my comp. for Funch.. But now that I've seen more film of him 

The TO comparison is perfect....

He doesn't have a NFL TE Body really. Kelvin is more of a TE than him.

It really shows you how little work some of these analysts put into studying individual prospects that some analysts keep talking about Funchess as having to be a TE in the NFL.

I think most analysts saw the 4.7 and immediately wrote him off as a WR. But the more I see of him it seems obvious that he is at worst a large NFL slot receiver - and at best a real mismatch on the outside. You don't want him inline.

There are so many prospects to review that obviously some will slip through the cracks. But anyone harping on the Funchess pick doesnt have much credibility in my book.

You can argue we paid too much (only time will tell) but the player is undeniably intriguing and has more than sufficient upside to be deserving of the #41 pick.

Edited by uscgamecocks

It really shows you how little work some of these analysts put into studying individual prospects that some analysts keep talking about Funchess as having to be a TE in the NFL.

The worst part of it is, they copy one another's comments.  People here do not like Mayock because he is wrong a good bit, but he puts it out there and he does not care what the others are saying.  Clemmings, for example--he had as the top OT, even after he stunk up the SR bowl.  I noticed that other "experts" elevated their opinions of Clemmings to a late first rounder.

These guys, for the most part, are former players or writers.  Some are GMs, but unemployed GMs (who are usually reluctant to rate players).  I can tell you this, I was a former player (college) when I was hired to be an assistant coach.  None of the staff played in college--some not even in high school.  They schooled me on football--3 state titles later, I realized how much I learned from them.

Later I got a call from an old friend who played with the Steelers who had just been hired to coach a struggling team in the area.  They hired him because he had NFL experience.  He wanted me to come help him. He also hired Dwight Hollier, a LB who played with the Dolphins and Colts for a decade.  I care a lot about those guys, but it was amazing how little they knew about COACHING football.

My point is this:  Morons like us tend to assume people who played or are sports writers understand talent evaluation. They really don't.  Each team has a system that requires certain skill sets at each position.  Our definition of a LT is not the same as the Broncos, for example. 

• Pie 5

Does this mean we don't have to hear sniveling about "weapons" anymore?

Not directing this at you necessarily, or saying this is what you are doing, but in general people should stop trolling about this like it wasn't a legitimate problem. We essentially wasted Newton's first 3 seasons because the only offensive starter we managed to acquire through the draft before Kelvin Benjamin was Amini Silatolu, and he's likely going to be a backup on the OL at best now. Things are looking bright now thankfully.

Edited by TheRed
  • Pie 1