• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Music these days...

Darth Biscuit

Cracked nails the social phenomena of old people saying everything sucks nowadays, including music.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19722_7-scientific-reasons-youll-turn-out-just-like-your-parents.html

Oh and if you have a shred of understanding about music theory, Rihanna is terrible no matter what age group you are a part of.

whoa

As you get older, your brain becomes more and more unable to handle dopamine, which, as we've pointed out before, is a big factor in making us feel "the chills" when a new exciting piece of music comes on.

Because nothing you hear will have that same effect on you as the fresh exciting sounds of your youth, it will become harder and harder to get fired up about new music. Your musical taste will therefore stagnate, regardless of how on top of the trends you were at 17. If you want to know what new music will sound like when you're 50, go spend an hour watching TV shows intended for toddlers. See how long you can tolerate it.

So, you'll get older and settle down and, inevitably, the ubiquitous Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac will mysteriously appear in your collection, like a Gideon Bible in a hotel. Just accept it.

The problem is a lot of these "artists" aren't really musicians. They're singers. They don't even write their own music. It's hard for real bands out there to make a name for themselves.

Maroon 5 is a perfect example of band who's first album was the tits because it was original and featured a traditional band set. Then they got all synth and pop and it made them crap. They are finally getting back to what made them good a long time ago.

There is still great music out there though.

Mayer Hawthorne

Walk the Moon

Empire of the Sun

Pretty much my favorite modern music at the moment

Music has hit an all time low. I can appreciate popular music from literally every decade over the past century except for this one.

Of course there are exceptions, but in general the music reflects the youth of today, and it isn't good news. Materialistic, shallow, entitled.

There is still a ton of quality music out there, but it's not mainstream and you have to dig to find it.  Quality, talented musicians don't make money anymore and all popular music are "promotable Hollywood" style people marketed to young and painfully dumb people who buy albums with their parents money.

I've got no problem with the music of today. I was a metal head growing up but my tastes seem to change with the times. No matter what the decade, I have seemed to find something I like in any of the music that was being played. 

"WHEN I SAY TAYLOR YOU SAY......"

SWIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I've got no problem with the music of today. I was a metal head growing up but my tastes seem to change with the times. No matter what the decade, I have seemed to find something I like in any of the music that was being played. 

"WHEN I SAY TAYLOR YOU SAY......"

SWIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jon Bon Jovi would cry if he read this.

My musical tastes have evolved a bit, but not towards new music.

If you guys can enjoy, lets say, The Last Waltz from The Band, then we have a starting spot to discuss music.

Allman Bros and their influence on "southern rock" was basically blues based as was about all the good stuff.

Then I stray into Joe Bonamassa and the eclectic type blues guys and old country holdouts like Jamey Johnson.

Never, ever listen to anything on a top 40 station or a country station.

thankful I love me my classic rock...I bypass 99.973% of any music made past the 90's

I love the music to, but so sick hearing the same songs over and over. If I had the money I would love to do a radio station that played everything but the hits. A B-side station if you will.

For all the you youngin's, b-side was the other side of a 45.

A 45 was a...

Aawwww fug it.

Music sucks nowadays

lol at all these people defining what a "musician" is, when the definition of the word is a person who writes, sings, or plays music (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/musician), all the people they said aren't musicians fit right into that definition...

all music has its time and place, whether you like it or not...no one likes everything and everyone has their particular tastes in everything they are into, music included...

for every bad artist that gets hyped, there's a good artist to be found, if you "hate" new music just because its new thats a personal problem rather than music problem

i enjoy all sorts genres of music, but rap is my favorite and i write and record my own songs...i focus on lyrics the most in all forms of music, i am a sucker for a good writer regardless of the genre

My music: https://soundcloud.com/13amp

Archived