• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Music these days...

Darth Biscuit

The problem is a lot of these "artists" aren't really musicians. They're singers. They don't even write their own music. It's hard for real bands out there to make a name for themselves.

Maroon 5 is a perfect example of band who's first album was the tits because it was original and featured a traditional band set. Then they got all synth and pop and it made them crap. They are finally getting back to what made them good a long time ago.

There is still great music out there though.

Mayer Hawthorne

Walk the Moon

Empire of the Sun

Pretty much my favorite modern music at the moment

I understand your sentiment about singers not really being musicians, but I've come to learn the voice is really the most powerful instrument of them all.

Some of the best voices didn't write their songs or play traditional instruments, Artetha Franklin being one example.

Sidenote, isn't Empire of the Sun mostly electronic synth pop?

Also you can't grade all music on the same scale. You can't grade a drama movie on the same scale as a comedy, or horror, or sci-fi film. In a similar way, you can't grade drill rap like normal rap, and can't grade mainstream rap with mainstream pop, rock, or other genres.

except it's easier than ever to listen to literally hundreds of thousands of bands any time you want

it's a fun thought exercise to juxtapose all the complaints about entitled, shallow millenials with the main grandpa simpson complaint that "bah of the 20 songs in heavy rotation on modern pop stations i'm not hearing the next black sabbath or REM so that means modern music is terrible and it's hard to find anything good"

well that's true except for that whole internet thing

People who think music is dead are stuck in the past and need to stop with their assumption that top 40 pop radio is the only music that exists today.

I bet yall weren't sitting there in the 80's jamming to like Paula Abdul or something, right? Same way that not everyone who listens to modern music is listening to Miley Cyrus and the likes.

Besides, in 30 years, that same music you're sh*tting on is gonna be the stuff that us youngins refer to as the good ol' days. "When I was your age, we had GOOD music like Maroon 5 and Soulja Boy." (God forbid...)

Anyways, there's more music being made today than the few songs that get their hourly rounds on pop radio. And even yet, not all of those are awful by any means.

What did you old farts expect when hearing One Direction or Katy Perry for the first time anyways?

"Gee, can't wait to hear what this new boy band aimed at 12-16 year old girls sounds like!!"

The music on top 40 pop stations is music that sells to people who listen to top 40 pop stations. I'm not totally sure what yall 'nothing pre-1990' guys were expecting.

Haven't read this thread yet, but every generation goes through this. I will, however, say we're in an interesting period where everything is going digital ... and a lot of it isn't good. So there may be something to older people saying current music is crap. I mean ... what will music be like in 20 years? Do people even PLAY instruments anymore? I saw a horrible, horrible. horrible, horrible, trailer for a DJ movie coming out soon. This is an actual line from it: To be a DJ, all you need is a computer.

That, is a very telling thing.

The breadth and scope of current artists are not as good as previous generations. Artists back in the day had to go on the road to promote an album. So the album had to be good and they had to perform. Now one song can be downloaded a bazillion times and who cares about their other songs.

Every year good and bad gets produced. I just think you have to sift through more bad just to get to the good.

And i have two teen daughters so i get it.

The breadth and scope of current artists are not as good as previous generations. Artists back in the day had to go on the road to promote an album. So the album had to be good and they had to perform. Now one song can be downloaded a bazillion times and who cares about their other songs.

Every year good and bad gets produced. I just think you have to sift through more bad just to get to the good.

And i have two teen daughters so i get it.

​how can even positively quantify your first sentence?  i doubt you've listened to every artist that's out there right now.  probably not even 1% of them.  what's going on just below the surface is insanely vibrant right now and easier to access than ever before.  the problem with your generation (haha i loved typing that) is that you seemingly don't want to turn off the radio and go look for it.  you keep looking at this through the lens of the old, outdated, top-down structure the big labels are clinging to.

if the album format is dead then why did vinyl sales hit a 20 year high last year?  just a coincidence?  one direction fans getting confused and going to a record shop and buying melody echo chamber LPs by accident?

People who think music is dead are stuck in the past and need to stop with their assumption that top 40 pop radio is the only music that exists today.

I bet yall weren't sitting there in the 80's jamming to like Paula Abdul or something, right? Same way that not everyone who listens to modern music is listening to Miley Cyrus and the likes.

Besides, in 30 years, that same music you're sh*tting on is gonna be the stuff that us youngins refer to as the good ol' days. "When I was your age, we had GOOD music like Maroon 5 and Soulja Boy." (God forbid...)

Anyways, there's more music being made today than the few songs that get their hourly rounds on pop radio. And even yet, not all of those are awful by any means.

​I agree.  There's plenty of great music out there through different outlets than the top 40.  There's utter sh*t like exhibited in this thread but that's been the case for every generation.  What I'm saying is probably what those who say "music is dead" expect to hear, but it's f*cking true.  I do believe hip-hop is nearing its end however (from how it was defined in the 90s at least).  As a musician, people who say there's nothing good anymore aren't worth the time to talk to music with.   If anything there's so much music out there at our disposal that you can find whatever floats your boat but also try to magnify the sh*tty like people do in this thread. 

Archived