• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Play Bene

Jeremy Igo

That will really frustrate me to see a budding star hampered in his development by a fossil.  I'm sure Peanut is a tremendous asset as far as knowledge and mentoring goes but Smitty burned him up repeatedly in 05.  '05, that was 10 freakin years ago.  Has peanut gotten any faster since then?  History says thats not how it works.

​LTown. Smitty burned everyone up in 05'. Everyone.

​Oh I know.  But now add 10 years to that same corner and everyone will be going Smitty on him.  Thats my fear.

​Tillman's a late bloomer. He was 22 years old when the Bears drafted him in the 2nd round in 2003, same year we drafted Gross. Tillman made his first Pro Bowl in 2011 at age 30, then his second Pro Bowl and in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year in 2012.

Two straight years tearing the same tricep has made his a forgotten man, but our history with TD's torn ACLs gives me hope Tillman can comeback Skrong.

David Newton had this tidbit in his coverage of today's minicamp.  It makes me so optimistic to think that our offense gets to practice against what is likely to be one of the top Ds in the league, while our D now has to contend with all the challenges & mismatches presented by KB, Funch & Olsen, and a healthy Cam.  It is a win-win!

[the quote refers to Bene's one-handed interception of a Cam pass]

Rivera said the play was so good that it would be hard to say the pass was a bad read by quarterback Cam Newton.

Wouldn't it be a great Idea to Rotate the Corners every other Quarter, to give the Defense some rest? I mean Put Peanut and Bene on one play, then put Houston and Norman on the other?

Rotate by quarters? Probably not.

Shift around to get the best matchupsmatchups, though? Maybe.

It'd take three guys who are smart enough to handle such switching around, of course.

Max Henson has a good write up on Bene's performance in minicamp today.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Benwikeres-minicamp-interception-exemplifies-growth/6c9bbb8b-2cad-4f1a-8a0b-f59fa8702442

Benwikere's recall of Tuesday's one-handed interception sheds some light on his progress.

"The offense gave us a freaky formation and me and

Roman Harpericon-article-link.gif were unsure what to do, but we talked through it," Benwikere, who was lined up at nickel, explained. "I decided to take the receiver and leave him on the tight end. My receiver flared out to the backfield, and our coaches preach not covering a dead weight. He was behind the line of scrimmage, so I played deep to short.

"It's a high-low combination," Rivera added. "Cam saw Bene going out to the flat so he thought he had the high (read)."

But he didn't. Benwikere dropped into the perfect spot and made him pay.

​Tillman's a late bloomer. He was 22 years old when the Bears drafted him in the 2nd round in 2003, same year we drafted Gross. Tillman made his first Pro Bowl in 2011 at age 30, then his second Pro Bowl and in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year in 2012.

Two straight years tearing the same tricep has made his a forgotten man, but our history with TD's torn ACLs gives me hope Tillman can comeback Skrong.

​I hope thats the case but I have to ask why when Bene was doing so well to just plop an old guy in front of him because vet.

Wait, who on earth is this Chris Houston guy? Did we recently sign him? Decent depth? 

​Just signed him yesterday - news was eclipsed a bit by TD contract extension.  Seems like he's had some good years, notably 2012. See PFF comments here evaluating 2013 Free Agents:

2. Chris Houston – stays in DET: 5-year, $25m

2012 Grade: +7.4
2012 Snaps: 931

Summary:  Chris Houston has been the one shining light in a bad Lions secondary for a few years now, and always quietly impressed me when he was with the Falcons before that. His performance has been impressive enough that he progressed last season into the rare air of players who are asked to track top receivers (although he only did this rarely). The Lions are likely to try hard to keep him around, but in a free agent class devoid of stars, Houston might be the safest pick out there and could command the best contract if he is allowed to escape.

Last year he was targeted 94 times, allowing 53 catches but for only 11.9 yards per reception. He is a fundamentally sound corner who is rarely beaten badly and will make receivers work for every yard, which given the rest of this class is in and of itself an impressive trait. Houston’s biggest negative is that he has a fairly concrete ceiling, and will never be confused for Darrelle Revis. There aren’t many corners in the league that are clearly better than he is, and some teams will prefer the reliable nature of his play than the all-or-nothing nature of some others.

I understand he's one of the famous Gettleman rehab projects.  Huddle thread link below:

Archived