• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers grooming future GM?

Jmac

Brandon Beane has been promoted to assistant GM. He was the interm GM before 'The Godfather'. D.G is no spring chIcken and his weight may be a problem in the years to come. Really wouldn't like another non football guy running the show. Big part of Getts ability is his football savy and finding talent. Think it would be a big mistake to go that route again and rely on a front office guy to take the helm. They should have learned from the Hurney mistake that this doesn't work.....opinions?

Brandon Beane has been promoted to assistant GM. He was the interm GM before 'The Godfather'. D.G is no spring chIcken and his weight may be a problem in the years to come. Really wouldn't like another non football guy running the show. Big part of Getts ability is his football savy and finding talent. Think it would be a big mistake to go that route again and rely on a front office guy to take the helm. They should have learned from the Hurney mistake that this doesn't work.....opinions?

​This promotion definitely makes it seem like he is in line to be Gettleman's successor.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.. It will be sad when Gettleman's time is up, so I will be scared that whoever we replace him with just wont be the same..  On one hand, it might be good for our next GM to be someone who has worked with Gettleman and has learned from him..  On the other hand, I totally agree that Beane not having the same type of experience and background as Gettleman makes me nervous..Bottom line is that their probably wont be another candidate like Gettleman.. Guys like him dont come around often, so having someone that can learn from him might be our best option.

I get the feeling it's more like the Giants assistant GM.

The Giants have a guy with that title, but he doesn't have a scouting background. He does some of the 'grunt work' but if the time came to replace Jerry Reese, it'd be Marc Ross taking the job while the 'Assistant GM' stayed where he's at.

Pretty sure Dave Gettleman will have a lot of say in who his successor is. I'd be extremely shocked if it was a guy who didn't have scouting  experience.

You won't find a harder worker than Brandon Beane.  So maybe this is a nod to him for that hard work and helping bridge the gap between Marty and Getts. Maybe this is a way for him to learn more from Gettleman and who knows what they do when he retires. Would you rather they not prepare him for the possibility? What happens if Gettleman retires abruptly and there are no great options out there?

Besides, the average huddler thinks they can be GM.  

I get the feeling it's more like the Giants assistant GM.

The Giants have a guy with that title, but he doesn't have a scouting background. He does some of the 'grunt work' but if the time came to replace Jerry Reese, it'd be Marc Ross taking the job while the 'Assistant GM' stayed where he's at.

Pretty sure Dave Gettleman will have a lot of say in who his successor is. I'd be extremely shocked if it was a guy who didn't have scouting  experience.

So you're saying because he wasn't born and raised a scout he's not qualified? A guy can't learn? This poo isn't neuroscience lol

Archived