• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Josh Norman and the Carolina Panthers making a statement in 2015

PhillyB

Meh.  I look at all variations of the confederate flag and remember the brave heroes that fought and died for state rights against a government that they deemed oppressive.    They were Americans that fought and died for their states.    It sucks that hate groups have perverted some of the confederate flags.  So much so that you've  got idiots out there claiming the confederate states were exactly like the nazis.

I know to some people the flag is racist.......  I can't place myself in their shoes.......... if I placed myself in the shoes of everyone that found things offensive,  I'd want everything taken down.              I don't even have the heart to try to place myself in the shoes of the Native Americans.   You read about what our nation did back then,  and it's heartbreaking.   So I've to just stay in my  own shoes.

The problem here is the actual state government, that is supposed to represent everyone in that state, flies the flag. We aren't talking about the public, we aren't talking about a club or church. We are talking about the government. Should a US government be allowed to fly a non-US flag that obviously is a slap in the face to so many of its citizens. 

yea I thought about that after posting. You're right.

So proud of JR and the Panthers organization. I was completely wrong about JR, and I need to be careful how quickly I judge someone. 

I don't care what anyone says, it's destined for the Panthers to win it all this year! 

Meh.  I look at all variations of the confederate flag and remember the brave heroes that fought and died for state rights against a government that they deemed oppressive.    They were Americans that fought and died for their states.    It sucks that hate groups have perverted some of the confederate flags.  So much so that you've  got idiots out there claiming the confederate states were exactly like the nazis.

"states rights" is a euphemism. the CSA was trying to drum up support from foreign nations and realized that everyone was gagging over their disgusting slavery agenda, so they repackaged it as "states rights" to make it more palatable to any european powers willing to fight a proxy war against america.

someone correct me if I am wrong, but

this is the confederate flag

us-csa13.gif

and this is the Battle Flag of Virginia

confederate-flag-tm.jpg

I think most people are ignorant to what the flags actually stand for.  It's more a symbol for southern pride.  Ignorance and white supremacy groups like the KKK made the flag into a symbol of racism.

If white folk from the south wanted those symbols to remain symbols of "heritage", they should never have allowed them to be co-opted by hate.

The problem is that the majority of white folk at the time these symbols were co-opted either eagerly or silently assented with the aims of the groups using them. 

If these fine white folk of the time loved and respected those symbols so much, they should have thrown the KKK out on their ass and made every asshole who joined those organizations pariahs in their communities.

They didn't.  Now its too late to complain.  Youngsters?  If you like Confederate symbols and are proud of much of the heritage of the Confederacy (outside of slavery, I hope) and you want to complain about how your beloved symbol has been co-opted?  Don't complain to black people.  Don't complain that black folk are "oversensitive" (they're not). 

Take your complaints to those who are responsible.  Your mom and dad... your grandfather and grandmother... your great-aunt and your great-uncle... and so on and so on.  They're the one's that stood to the side, nodding their heads, and then looking the other way when your "heritage" was stolen and defiled.

Edited for accuracy: And I confess that my own dear father, who I love dearly and always will, was one of those white folk I so accurately describe above.

Since we can't be hypocrites, let's start taking the American Flag down also. Slavery was alive and well under the Stars and Stripes. 

Here's the fallacy in your logic:

140,000 men died and 220,000 men were wounded to cleanse the sin of slavery on that flag with their own blood.

Tiger7_88 your numbers are all out of whack. Close to 620,000 casualties were accumulated during the civil war. that is including deaths,wounded,died of disease. How about you stick to Panther talk and let people who have studied history stick to the facts. Run along 

you must of pulled those numbers out your ass.

union casualties 110,000 KIA

360,000 total dead

272,000 wounded

with your logic I guess we should say the same to native Americans right? Only the victors right history right?

Archived