• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Oher Struggling Early in Camp

Jeremy Igo

How does it feel knowing an 8th grader knows more football than you?

Weren't you on the Martin train? LMAO how did that plan out.

Not so hot on the reading comprehension, I see. You might wanna try reading that post again, kid.

To answer: You tell me, and no, I wasn't expecting big things from Martin. He was a 'low risk' signing.

• Pie 1

Gooby--if you want to be a dick, go troll the board of a team you do NOT like.

Back to the topic--Oher may have a mental issue--it could be that he lacks intensity, which could explain the lazy feet.  I doubt a T who has played football for most of his life on the highest levels is a quick fix if lazy feet are the issue.

IF that is the case, and IF he responds well to Matsko, then give Matsko time to do his thing.

Now I want to defend Oher by listing possibilities for a slow start (by no means am I suggesting these are the reasons--they are possible reasons) :

1. He is learning a new system.  Oher is a bit slow.  Sure, he was beaten in 1-on-1 drills, but some people are timid and reserved until they get comfortable.

2. Some people are not practice players, but they pick it up in games.

3. Maybe he is not in the best shape.  hard for a 330 lb man to prepare for 95 degrees in Spartanburg

4. The drill he was burned in gives the advantage to the defensive player.  Here is why: They have no run responsibility--they pin their ears back and go.  Most DEs win a 1-on-1 situation when they can pin their ears back.

5. He is shy but is always under the microscope due to the movie.  Everyone expects a Disney ending, and he is not that player. 

If you want to know what I suspect:
I think Oher's problems are mostly mental. 

• Pie 2

Though Oher is not a longterm answer, I'm willing to be patient with his presence at LT. I'd feel more comfortable if they were experimenting with Remmers out there some too, just to kick the tires on if it's an option or not.

Back to Oher though. I agree with MHS in that it's between his ears. I also am willing to believe that a player's worth and predictable performance over 5 months of the season can't be seen after a handful of light contact practice in sweltering Spartanburg.

At the end of the day, Oher has a lot of mental blockages that he needs to remove sooner, rather than later. The toe injury is huge, as well as his performances over the past couple of seasons. Yes, the two are connected, but at some point, he either has to put it behind him, or move aside for someone that won't hurt the team. Oher is better than Bell and as long as the other 4 members to his right play like they are capable of, Oher will be fine. 

I'm not expecting an All-Pro season for him, but an average (2012 Jordan Gross would do) year will be fine. I really hope Oher can step up and be a mediocre T. 

• Pie 3

Back to the topic--Oher may have a mental issue--it could be that he lacks intensity, which could explain the lazy feet.  I doubt a T who has played football for most of his life on the highest levels is a quick fix if lazy feet are the issue.

IF that is the case, and IF he responds well to Matsko, then give Matsko time to do his thing.

Now I want to defend Oher by listing possibilities for a slow start (by no means am I suggesting these are the reasons--they are possible reasons) :

1. He is learning a new system.  Oher is a bit slow.  Sure, he was beaten in 1-on-1 drills, but some people are timid and reserved until they get comfortable.

3. Maybe he is not in the best shape.  hard for a 330 lb man to prepare for 95 degrees in Spartanburg

4. The drill he was burned in gives the advantage to the defensive player.  Here is why: They have no run responsibility--they pin their ears back and go.  Most DEs win a 1-on-1 situation when they can pin their ears back.

5. He is shy but is always under the microscope due to the movie.  Everyone expects a Disney ending, and he is not that player. 

You nailed it, it's why I'm not freaking out about Oher...yet.  He does look like crap, but there are players who are gamers, hell Jake Delhomme was known as being very bad in practice and then game time could play lights out (well, when he was in his prime atleast).  I'm willing to wait until a game to pass major judgement on him, hell, he doesn't have a high bar to reach.  Remember, the O-line was playing well down the stretch last year, and that was with Bell manning the left side, so if he can just play as good as bell did at the end of 2014, we'll be fine.

• Pie 1

Though Oher is not a longterm answer, I'm willing to be patient with his presence at LT. I'd feel more comfortable if they were experimenting with Remmers out there some too, just to kick the tires on if it's an option or not.

Back to Oher though. I agree with MHS in that it's between his ears. I also am willing to believe that a player's worth and predictable performance over 5 months of the season can't be seen after a handful of light contact practice in sweltering Spartanburg.

At the end of the day, Oher has a lot of mental blockages that he needs to remove sooner, rather than later. The toe injury is huge, as well as his performances over the past couple of seasons. Yes, the two are connected, but at some point, he either has to put it behind him, or move aside for someone that won't hurt the team. Oher is better than Bell and as long as the other 4 members to his right play like they are capable of, Oher will be fine. 

I'm not expecting an All-Pro season for him, but an average (2012 Jordan Gross would do) year will be fine. I really hope Oher can step up and be a mediocre T. 

We were so spoiled by gross... We didn't know how good we had it with him. That "Average" year was still far above average compared to everything else. 

• Pie 2

We were so spoiled by gross... We didn't know how good we had it with him. That "Average" year was still far above average compared to everything else. 

I still wish we had formed an actual plan regarding his departure. We had to convince him to come back for the 2013 season, so it wasn't like we were not expecting it come 2014. I don't really blame Gettleman for it, I think it was more Rivera pushing for Byron Bell into the role. Ron's track record with being overly loyal to the nice guys who work hard but are mediocre like Bell/Chandler/Fua has not helped.

Edited by TheRed

Two other possibilities include:

6. Oher really wants this year to work and realizes there isn't much competition behind him. He could be taking it easier to keep any chance of injury down in the off season. 

7. While the DE can pin his ears back and charge, Oher can't put his full strength or meanness into effect in training camp. While he might maul someone in a regular season situation, in this drill he can't put a full hit on a teammate, especially when he is one of the new guys.

I say give him a chance. He'll be better in protection when there is something important on the line.

Because that's why Oher has been soft as a pillow and Nate Chandler has been getting first team reps today.

Excuses continue.

I don't think it's excuses as much as it is wishful thinking. I think most fans are willing to give Oher the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement for when the real bullets are flying.  

It's not unreasonable to assume that Oher can and will be better than Bell, that fact alone warrants some optimism. 

Do you have any alternative suggestions that would improve our LT situation besides just bitching about the fans that choose to be hopeful things will workout with Oher being a serviceable LT?