• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damiere Byrd Turning Heads

Jeremy Igo

When I read that he said "6 or 7" Byrd was the first person (and only person) who came to mind.

Byrd is explosive.

Instead of thinking, "Who is #1 WR, who is the #2, who is the slot..." start thinking "Who will be the most effective WR group vs. this particular group of DBs, who will be the best vs. the next team...etc." 

Byrd gives this team a group of smallish speedsters (Byrd, Ginn, Brown) and a group of taller targets (KB, Funchess, Bersin) and a veteran possession guy (Cotchery).   Man, there are a lot of combinations possible.

Byrd may be groomed to return kicks/punts too.  Wonder how he would be as a gunner?  Etc etc etc.

Rivera's comment tells us everything about his mindset.  Good stuff, Jeremy.

That's exactly my line of thought right now, and I think it depends on whether or not they think it's possible for them to move him to the practice squad without a team snagging him, and that will depend largely on how he plays in the preseason games (when other teams really get a chance to see him).  I think the 6 right now are KB, Funch, Brown, Ginn, Cotch (unfortunately), and Bersin, and the 7th spot would be the "theres no way Byrd would make it through waivers" spot.

• Pie 1

how many rookies were starting on defense last year ??

He loves vets until the rooks catch on and start out playing vets..........just like any other coach.

Stay tuned...!  I'll have the analysis of the defense, including the number of rookies who started last year, posted soon. 

Great news. His speed is in a class of his own even at his unexperienced age in the NFL.. has pretty good hands too.

I feel like he has more to give the team in real season games with huge open plays than Boykin, Cotch, Bersin.. plus seeing Cotch in the backfield is a really odd thing. Pulling for Byrd

Since hitting and tackling are illegal in practices now thanks to the union CBA(turning into soft @ss weakings).

How's Byrd going to react to a nice solid hit?? There are always rare examples of players less than 200 LBs being turf bad@sses. Football is still played in pain, these track speed players lose their will/want2 once a minor booboo happens. 

Want to see NFL live game snaps for byrd, before I start swinging on his nuts.

Since hitting and tackling are illegal in practices now thanks to the union CBA(turning into soft @ss weakings).

How's Byrd going to react to a nice solid hit?? There are always rare examples of players less than 200 LBs being turf bad@sses. Football is still played in pain, these track speed players lose their will/want2 once a minor booboo happens. 

Want to see NFL live game snaps for byrd, before I start swinging on his nuts.

I have had the same thoughts. 

Byrd doesn't have chicken legs though. If anything, he is bottom heavy. It seems like most of the guys that get rattled have tiny legs like Armanti had. 

Edited by Jeremy Igo
  • Pie 1

Does anyone else find it strange when players are asked about who is the fastest on the team Byrd isn't even mentioned? I read somewhere yesterday that Ginn is the unquestioned fastest guy with Brown and Colin Jones right behind him. A few players were asked and I never read Byrd's name. Curious is all.

• Pie 2