• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1 on 1 - Rookie Daryl Williams vs Wes Horton

Jeremy Igo

Serious question. 

What at is it about him that made everybody pass up on him in the draft? He seems coachable, has decent footwork, clearly doesn't skip leg day, and looks like a mean SOB and he's from a big boy school.

STRENGTHS

Physical at the point of attack. Comes off snap with bad intentions and rolls hips under him to drive defender off the ball. Tough guy who leads by example on the field. Works to the whistle and enjoys the one-on-one run-game scraps. Competes as a pass blocker. Sees and reacts well to twists. Has power in his hands. Buries defenders on down blocks. Outstanding football character and overall work ethic.

WEAKNESSES

Below-average athleticism. Won't be much of a factor in getting back-side cut-off blocks against quick linebackers. Gets weight forward and will lose balance. Marginal lateral movement. Plodder. Shuffles and gallops to wide pass sets. Struggled against Baylor and rung up for three holding calls. Unable to smoothly change directions and redirect. Body control needs improvement.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 5

BOTTOM LINE

Williams is a competitive player with all the football character you want and NFL power to match. When he gets defenders lined up in his sweet spot, he can drive them out of the play. Winning with guile and toughness over skill, Williams' lack of functional athleticism is a concern and might be a catalyst for a move inside to guard.

He's gonna take Remers job, Panthers already know it and are giving Remmers a look at center.

I think this was a forgone conclusion basically.  I know everyone was high on Remmers, I am too, but I think he's more of a "spot starter" and backup than he is a trust as the long term answer at a position, I mean, he wouldn't have spent as much time on practice squads if he wasn't.  That said though, that is a HUGE thing to have, especially in a run heavy offense designed at long sustained drives where you will need to sub out lineman often to give them breathers.  I think the goal is that he will eventually play the role that Piggy did for us for years.

Archived