• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Projection Update

Jeremy Igo

We still have not played a preseason game but I still see Byrd making the team over Bersin/Cotchery.  Hell those two guy have done a whole bunch of nothing on a bad WR unit. 

Also I say Mayo goes to PS over Glanton, and Fozzy over Todman who brings less upside. 

My sleeper is Ward replacing Brockel although I'm a big fan of his.

• Pie 2

Tough decisions ahead for G'man, Rivera & co.  Wow. 

The news today from Rivera that Webb is basically a lock tightens things up exceptionally, especially at RB.  I really thought we'd be keeping Stew, Fozzy, CAP & Todman for sure.

Question:  Could Fozzy still snag a spot on the PS as one of the 2 exceptions?  I'd rather see us keep him than Foucault.  But of course, he very well would be likely to be picked up by another team..., so PS may not really be a viable option for him even if he could be eligible. 

Oh well.  Hopefully the pre-season games will make it clear who is best to keep and make these decisions a little bit easier for the team.

• Pie 1

I have been watching Todman for the last couple of years. Dude may never be a starter, but he does provide good insurance and can start in a pinch.  He has been fairly productive, and he has been a decidedly solid special teams player.  If you compare his career vs. Fozzy's so far, you will see that his has made more of an impression. This impression must be carrying over to camp, as Igo and others have noted Todman's skills.  

• Pie 1

Byndom has looked good again this camp. Getting tons or reps. I don't see anyone left on the training camp roster that I would remove him for. 

Todman has an extra gear of speed that none of the other backs have. It is obvious on the field. Also, he appears to be better than Fozzy in pass protection as well. 

I believe we are going to carry only 2 QBs, Especially with Cam healthy, spot should open up for WR or RB

when there is a draw when iut comes to abilities and physical talent, the decision will be made based on experience and knowledge of the play book. philly has a clear advantage over byrd.

I agree. Rivera has said he prefers guys he has gone to battle with. Byrd will have to impress on the PS for a while and take advantage of his chances if there is an injury me thinks. 

• Pie 1

I believe we are going to carry only 2 QBs, Especially with Cam healthy, spot should open up for WR or RB

That's what a lot of us have been thinking... but Rivera didn't leave himself too much wiggle room.  Here are his words from today's post-practice press comments, via BBR:

http://blackandbluereview.com/transcript-ron-rivera-after-wednesday-practice/

Joe Webb will have a big role, can he make the team and you keep 3 QBs?

“I do foresee keeping three quarterbacks. Part of the reason is what he’s done in the past and what he’s shown us. He’s been an emergency receiver for us, he’s been a backup quarterback, he’s been a special teams guy for us and this year, we have him doing a lot of special teams drills. He’s been a four core guy. Not just one or two, he’s been in all four. All of those meetings, he’s kind of become our Jensen, who used to play for the Dolphins. As Mike Shula likes to constantly remind me. He’s done a nice job at that. You’ll see him play some special teams, and we’re going to try to limit that a little bit, and see what he shows us. He’ll play some quarterback. He won’t play wide receiver but if we needed to then he could. These very versatile football players are starting to come back and be en vogue again. Part of it has to do with what they’re doing in college. Running backs are playing those wing positions or whatever they call them, and you’re starting to see guys starting to do more than one thing.”