• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Impressed/Who Depressed

Mark S

I've been on the Philly hype train since since we first signed him as a UDFA, and been beating his drum all ofseason... but with that said... come on bro.  You've got to do better now that you're being given a real opportunity with the 1's. 

He still gets open plenty with some very nice route-running/speed, but his catching mechanics are absolutely terrible.  I've usually been sort of easy on him there.  He needs to spend every possible moment with the jugs machine, and hand catch and make some out-reaching grabs while looking the ball into his hands the entire way.

Why the hell is Harper still starting? why? 

And Boykin should take Philly's spot. Philly is what he is, a nice slot receiver with a very limited ceiling. Theirs a reason he went undrafted. And don't give the Victor Cruz BS he's a outlier, one in a million

Why the hell is Harper still starting? why? 

And Boykin should take Philly's spot. Philly is what he is, a nice slot receiver with a very limited ceiling. Theirs a reason he went undrafted. And don't give the Victor Cruz BS he's a outlier, one in a million

Boykin was undrafted too.

I want Josh Norman to be more consistent. He whiffed a tackle that would have stalled a drive. He kind of redeemed himself in the end zone, but the Phins still ultimately scored a TD a couple of plays later. I think there is going to be a lot more testing of him with Peanut on the other side.

More consistent? He had one bad play, and if anything Tillman is gonna get worked more. He has not been that good the passed couple years, Bene is still the better cover guy.

More consistent? He had one bad play, and if anything Tillman is gonna get worked more. He has not been that good the passed couple years, Bene is still the better cover guy.

He's barely even played the last couple years due to injury, and was one of the absolute best corners in the league in 2012, which was his last full season.

Hell, he was still one of the top corners in 2013 before being sidelined the rest of the year by injury IIRC.

Impressed:

Daryl Williams  guy just did not miss any assignments last night, could easily transition to 1st string next week with Remmers at C

Josh Norman is gonna have a good season

Shaq showed well for his first outing

Anderson/Boykin connection on quick slants was fun to watch

Our RB stable can do well as the Oline learns to open more holes.

Oline giving QB's all day to throw, very much a change from last year.

Depressed:

Another big injury to the DLine and we sucked at DE to begin with.  No pressure means gonna be a long year for the D

Philly Browns head did not follow him to the stadium last evening

1st string offense just not ready for prime time at this point

Impressed:

O-line - single most impressive first team unit last night.  While Remmers is already playing well, looking forward to Williams to take over RT and allow Remmers to move into his ultimate utility role.

Reserve RB's - CAP, Todman, and Wegher did more than any other RB's and it wasn't even close.  It's hard to make an argument that any of these guys shouldn't make the final roster.

Kony Ealy - For the first time this preseason, he flashed.  Is strip sack was a thing of beauty and seemed like he was getting a good rush.  If This Kony Ealy is opposite of Big Money then watch out.

Depressed:

3rd down defense - Man, our starting defense looked great...on downs that don't start with the letter T.  I lost count of 3rd down conversions given up by our first stringers.  We have the possibility of having an incredibly good defense and getting off the field will be the key.  If you remember, before the defense got on a roll last year, this was our achilles heel (sorry Frank).

Special Teams Coverage - Bad again, and we spent a lot of time and money on "Aces" this offseason and there is not a sign of improvement.  This hurts our defense badly and makes them look worse than they are because of the short field given to opposing offense.  That's how you can have a defense finish 10th in YPG and 21rst in PPG.  Rivera and co need to get this poo right.

Corey Brown - No one disappointed me more than Corey.  I hear that he was overhyped, and that's possible, but he did not catch with his chest as much last year.  It seemed to me that Cam forced him the ball as if he was doing everything he could to give him the leg up with KB out, but he did nothing with those opportunities.  All in all, putrid showing on his part.  He will drop on the depth chart this week, question is, how much.

Finished watching the game this morning after my internet went out last night following a severe thunderstorm. What a fun ending.  More 4th quarter excitement!

I've not yet ready any comments on this thread, wanted to share my own impressed / depressed list 1st without being influenced by others.

Impressed:

Joe Webb - just like last year in the preseason, he's playing great, making it hard to think of cutting him.  Really nice.

Brandon Wegher - I think he's got to make the 53 at this point, looking so solid

Shaq - some great tackles and play awareness from what little I saw of him.

CAP - some nice runs.

Oline - even the backups.  Very nice.  In the 4th quarter they did well with some pulling guards opening up the run.  Wow.  So nice to have the OLine as a strength.  Hope Kalil is ok.  Daryl Williams continues to look great, and Oher quite decent.  Against Buffalo & Miami D, this is huge. (pun intented).

Boykin - key catches to helping get our offense going.

Mike Brown - some nice catches too.  He's moving up my list of receivers at this point.

Depressed:

Corey Brown.  Definitely the player I was most disappointed with.  His drops made for a depressing 1st quarter.

Fozzy:  Didn't see much from him at all.  I think as Jeremy and others have said, he's seriously moving down the depth chart at this point and at risk of not making the team.

PENALTIES:  Yikes.  They killed us a number of times.   Seems like they were cleaned up a lot in the 4th quarter though.  (Also, at least there were no delay of game penalties this week).

Worried:

D Line depth.  I haven't yet heard / read any status on Frank Alexander's injury, but it wasn't sounding good when I lost my internet last night.  Losing him would be very tough.

Archived