• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who’s Afraid Of A Big, Black, Unbeaten Quarterback?

Jackofalltrades

It is a great piece and deserves to be read entirety.

This paragraph stuck out to me. I wish every NFL fan and media member could read this.

I think Cam Newton’s really valuable because he’s really exposing how much of a joke some of this is,” says Howard, “and how much of a terrible, self-serious toxic culture football is. … It’s not war, you know? It’s not serious. These aren’t really high stakes, and when you see Cam Newton enjoying the game for what it is, and then you see the people who are infuriated by it, who seems more right? You look over the course of their career, who has been more right? I think Cam Newton speaks to a generational shift, and a shift in how we look at sports — how we look at football specifically. And more and more, we’ve become smarter, and we’ve become less racist, as a media body.”

He’s a quarterback who dances like a wide receiver. He’s an athletic marvel who refuses to sit in the pocket. He’s a gorgeous performer in an often unsightly sport. He’s a once-in-a-generation talent who knows exactly how good he is, and refuses to apologize for it.

So, sure, maybe Cam Newton doesn’t always speak the NFL’s language. Maybe we’re all better off for it.

https://whatistheexcel.com/wooobooru/_images/4577bc61a3fee89b96afc2d0696b16df/8247%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20clapping%20crying%20gif%20paul_heyman%20wwe.gif

Cam posted something on social media that stated "to much is given much is required...thank you God for giving me this platform...I will forever be grateful...1 love"

Some people take this the wrong way because "traditional qbs" do the aww shucks routine. Cam knows how talented he is and he doesn't apologize for it and embraces it which the article alludes to.  

Its why people were upset/butthurt when he said nobody has seen a person with my talents in this league; as big, strong, fast and with the arm talent I have who am I not to work as hard as I possibly can to be the best I can be? Why would I waste this gift. He's fuging right but I guess ppl can't handle the truth and want ppl to be fake. Whatever. To each their own, it's a breathe of fresh air for me.

It's why through those years of mopping in press conferences that I was ecstatic that somebody in this organization actually gave a damn after years of ineptitude and mediocrity.

The great thing about cam is he knows how quickly all of this positive press can change and he is mentally prepared for it if it does happen. He can weather the storm and that's why I don't expect nothing else but greatness from him throughout his career with the panthers and I wouldn't trade him for any other qb but more importantly any other man in the league. 

I think being unapologetic is the way to go. Too many people have adapted the "victim of circumstance" narrative to explain their short comings. Cam's story shows that he overcame circumstances because once you play victim, you put a stick of dynamite in the hole and make it that much deeper. This can be a generational point and should be something discussed on a national level in my opinion as enabling this type of mindset only allows others to adopt it.

Cam has overcome much including systematic racial bias, poor decisions, relocations, promises, injury, and no doubt many mental hurdles to land where he is today. He has the opportunity to share that and I hope it can impact others lives in a positive manner. 

“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.”

Suffice it to say that with the Panthers at 14–0, and Cam Newton the current consensus favorite for league MVP, Nolan Nawrocki’s Pro Football Weekly scouting report, authored back in the Spring of 2011, has not aged well.

Or, as Deadspin staff writer Greg Howard puts more bluntly:

“That guy is a raging racist,” says Howard, upon being reminded of Nawrocki’s now infamous breakdown, “And I guess even worse than that, maybe he’s a raging troll. I don’t think anyone should — or really does anymore — put any stock into what he says.”

Thought this was the best part. Where the hell is that POS Nawrocki now? Hope his career has been ended. 

Archived