• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

D'Angelo Wlliams Sorta Bad Mouthing, Not Giving Cam Credit; A Bit Salty?

FootballMaestro

I used to follow him on twitter and facebook when he was a Panther, but towards the end, it got unbearable.  

Football is a business, and he got the short end of it from us.  We asked him to become something he wasn't (a power back).  He didn't like that.  I get it.  He wasn't very good at the read option stuff either.

He had a really good run here for the first few, but then we were stuck using him out of position.  Everything is great when you're winning, but when you're not, it all sucks.  I'm glad he had a bit of a renaissance year with the Steelers, but that's about it.

I understand his salt, and I don't care about his opinions.  He's kind of like a jilted ex-girlfriend.  They want to talk to her when you get famous, but it's obvious why you broke up with her at the end of the interview.

34 minutes ago, hanklee89 said:

Yeah of course it's fair that they asked and he's probably a dummy if he was blindsided by it. It is a bit surprising that he didn't just give us the same old jock talk we get from most guys, you know the old "Well, you know Cam has transformed his game from his rookie year, etc etc" but he didn't. 

I guess I'm just of the mindset that I really don't care what any ex-players think or expect them to comment on what the team has done this year, especially if they're still in the league. And if he's salty, then that's a D-Will problem and he can watch the Super Bowl from the couch just like I will. 

Always got the impression that the GM switch did him in.

10 minutes ago, csx said:

Smith and Moose are the only non QBs with more TDs than him.

But yea, he's angry. Forget him.

Talking about his whole career or just last few years? 

I'd have to look it up but since it's tongue and cheek, I'm not taking it that seriously. 

Agreed though, he is mad and has been for a while, the routine is old and tired.   Yeah, fug him.. 

55 minutes ago, hanklee89 said:

Everyone in here ripping DeAngelo were probably the first people cheering when he'd score a touchdown...He put in several good years here in Charlotte and once he began to be banged up and got paid, maybe his effort wasn't the best. That concern isn't exclusive to him...

Having said that, if he doesn't want to give Cam all the credit in the world, who cares? It's almost like asking current college football coaches about the top 25 knowing damn well they watched one game and one game only and expecting them to fill out a reasonable ballot. From what I see on social media, he's still great with Panthers fans and doesn't act like his time here never happened.

Awful post. DeAngelo sucks. I said it for years he was holding Stewart back. Stewart is by far the superior running back and it is a shame him being here has held Stewart back. I was furious when Hurney didn't bring Peppers back. I was said to see Grttleman release Smith. I was elated when they cut DeAngelo.

I was never a big D will fan but I've been to really dislike him after his release. The exaggerated story about no one came to his mom's funeral(lie), his comments after being released, and how he tried to turn it into a circus....Go spend those millions you didn't earn and keep your mouth shut

1 hour ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

I don't know a single person who had a positive in-person experience with Williams when they met him. He was an asshole to everyone. He's a terrible, Trump-like, garbage person.

I respectfully disagree. He and his girlfriend have always been super-nice to me. 

I hope the Steelers let him go and he has to play for somebody like the Browns or Titans. Don't want to see him come back to retire either, although I doubt he'd want that anyway.

If he'd been a Panther this season I think he'd have been the rotten apple in the barrel. 

Listening to it now.

He congratulated the Panthers and recognized how difficult it is to get to this game.

The first part of the interview was a back and forth with him and Boomer about the Steelers-Bengals issues.

Then they talk about concussions in the NFL.

Next they go into the Panthers. DeAngelo says he believe Cam will be the MVP. He is asked what the differnce is between Cam in previous seasons and Cam this season. He is complimentary and saying what most have said in these forums. It has clicked for Cam and the ball is coming out on time. He is no longer holding the ball and waiting for his receivers to make their breaks and then try to throw them open. He is throwing the ball to the open spot as they are making their breaks. He continues to say that is what makes for a good QB. DeAngelo mentions that he has become familiar with his receivers now (where last year management took everything away from Cam and he had to learn all his receivers tendencies). Then he says Cam has his offensive players making plays for him (playing harder for him). He states with a very ENTHUSIASTIC tone that when players are making plays for the QB and you add the Panthers defense they are going to be very tough to beat. Then he gives the Panthers defense props to emphasize how tough the Panthers are to beat. DeAngelo says the defense is so good with all the turnovers that Cam could just manage the game and they could win (this is said to show people that you have to beat the defense and Cam; Not just one or the other; No slight on Cam here). What did you want DeAngelo to say? That the defense is overrated because Cam is carrying the team and the wins are all about Cam? DeAngelo wanted to give props to Cam and the defense. 

Then they talk about the Broncos.

Then DeAngelo says Manning is proven and the criticism on Manning is unjustified. He then juxtaposes Cam to Manning to show how Cam is a younger QB that is unproven entering the Super Bowl. He is making the point that you can criticize the younger QB, but you need to give respect to Manning for everything he has proven in his career. Cam is still at the beginning of the journey. This was about Manning and not Cam. DeAngelo just used Cam as an example of a younger QB, and emphasized that it all comes down to wins and loses over a career and Manning has the wins behind him to prove he can still get it done. (We all know Cam Newton agrees it is about winning all the time and stats do not matter if you are losing. You can get all the awards, but if your team is not winning you are not proven. That is the point being made to defend all the criticism surrounding Manning.

Next, they talk about the Norman-Odell battle being good for football.

Then Boomer calls DeAngelo a Panther and DeAngelo corrects him and says he is a Steeler right now.

DeAngelo then ends it by saying he did not even watch the Super Bowl last year and was out hunting. This year he is at the Super Bowl for the entire week and enjoying it. He is looking forward to seeing the game. (Think about that for a minute). Most players have nothing to do with the Super Bowl if they are not in it... like going hunting. So, why is DWill there this Super Bowl? Think people before you get bent out of shape. He made it known he has to be loyal to the Steelers since they sign his check. Then (ENTHUSIASTICALLY) he says he wants to see what everyone is talking about. He has played the Broncos and he has only seen a couple Panthers games. He wants to see if the Panthers can bring it all together and win the Super Bowl. 

=====

Check it out here for yourselves. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/02/01/boomer-carton-deangelo-williams-gets-comfy/

=====

Some of you are way too sensitive. Most of the people commenting on the "saltiness" are probably the same posters who kept crapping on Stewart for riding a bike when he was injured during his recovery.

If you take anything from that interview as DeAngelo being salty, then you have deeper issues. He is a Steeler going to the Super Bowl for the entire week without being their to promote anything. He is clearly there to enjoy the week with his former teammates, and he cannot be pro Panther as a Steeler. That is why he will not tell anyone who he picks to win the game. He does not waste his time with just a Super Bowl if he is not in it. So, obviously he made the trip for the entire week all the way to Santa Clara for a reason.

Some of you just want any reason to hate on former Panthers. Most of you have some unresolved issues.

2 hours ago, Don137 said:

I think the Panthers could of handled DWill's Mom passing better and they realize that. However, I think DWill quit on this team a year or two ago. He go down on first contact. I think cutting him helped this offense.

He lost something like 15#s after being cut. He looked like a different RB this year for Steelers. Sorry if your a DWill fan but I don't think much of him anymore. His interview just reinforces it.

Employers do NOT owe an employee that.....not one person from my office attended my grandmothers funeral.  And I am not walking around bitching and moaning about it. 

Archived