• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Turning Point: The Clete Blakeman Effect

CPantherKing

NFL Turning Point highlights the illegal bat by Von Miller while Cam was recovering it. Not only does it show a perfect angle of what should have been a penalty on the Broncos with 1st and 10 at the Broncos 35, it shows the exact position of Clete Blakeman and his view of the batted ball. He has located the ball and is running toward it during the recovery and as soon as he sees the bat he reverses field toward the end zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmFegiqVXKE

Clete spots the ball and begins to move toward the recovery. Von Miller reaches around Cam Newton to bat the ball away from him.

cletebat1.JPG.c78ba36a56083c4b73d7ecece4

Clete continues to track the ball.

cletebat2.JPG.2234b33c64928500d5563cdc78

Clete has a clear view of Von Miller batting the ball and his head has turned with the ball movement showing complete awareness of the location of the ball.

cletebat3.JPG.9276dcb265529d2089956c7149

Clete reacts immediately to the bat of the ball accounting for the change in direction and speed from what was a ball nearly at rest in front of Cam Newton and Ryan Kalil.

cletebat4.JPG.4569ab934716ac3e0880d0ea70

Clete Blakeman was a college QB and has been officiating for years. He is just as aware of the ball as any athlete and the game slows down for him just like the veteran players on the field. You can see how aware he is tracking the ball. He knew it was a batted ball and it was his call to make. He shows no intention of ever going for the flag.

He saw the fumble which is designated by the blue flag he threw, and he tracked it the entire time. He begins to move from his stationary position as soon as he sees Von Miller bat the ball. If he was unaware of where the ball was he would have run toward the scrum to locate the ball.

He is clearly a very aware official with some nice reaction time. We are to assume he was just awful at officiating on this day and could not make decisions according to his training? Maybe he was not well versed in the rule book? I highly doubt he gets to the Super Bowl by being at the level of a high school official.

Make your own judgement, but NFL Turning point and Inside the NFL puts everything you need to know on tape.

i hope this poo really starts getting attention. it was a bad call that put us in that situation to begin with and then this happens?

you want to know why our heads weren't in it the rest of the game? like 24 said, didn't know we would be facing two teams.

i know it's too late and there's no way they would change it. what's done is done, but we were screwed out of that win. i said we were kicked in the nuts early and never recovered, but it was the refs who did the kicking and that's a shame.

29 minutes ago, Gipetto said:

Let it go Clete blakeman could come out right now and say he was rooting for the broncos and it wouldnt change a thing

it would bring attention to the fact that ref crews, esp. this one, show favoritism in hopes that the bad press will cause them to pay better attention to who they select for these games.

I'll be hard pressed to believe there's a major conspiracy theory. Besides, we weren't prepared enough for Denver's defense. That's on the team.

However, I'm also hard pressed to defend Blakeman because there's just too many errors that had a material impact on the game against our favor. All I wanted a sense of fairness or competence from the officiating crew for the Super Bowl and I honestly cannot say right now we got that.

If the NFL has any sense, Blakeman should not be the referee when we play Denver for the 2016 season and at any of our home games. It's not at a Bill Leavy/Seahawks level yet but he may have surpassed everyone else as the most disliked referee in franchise history.

It pisses me off because we were screwed and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. 

Even if they came out and admitted they ignored blatant calls like that, we couldn't do anything. 

The Broncos will still be SB champions. They shouldn't be, but they would be. 

Archived